What will you do when YOU get the demo?

Guest PeterNZ

Guest PeterNZ

hehe, yeah... another demo post.. smile.gif

So what will you do when you get the demo?

Run straight to the editor? Run a training mission? (is there one?).. Read the manual cover to cover? Run the game and post a zillion screenshots to the web? Grab a friend and multiplay from the moment the exe has finished installing? Scream because it doesn't work on your system?! (now THAT would suck!). Run to this web board and post messages like "I HAVE THE DEMO NOW!"

hehe

PeterNZ

Guest Tom punkrawk

well most likely I'll be screaming,but hopefully I won't,if it does work I'll do the training,so I can get a feel for it

------------------

We ain't got no place to go,let's go to a punk rawk show

Install it !

Sorry couldn’t resist. smile.gif Of coarse that would be a helluva time to get a hard drive crash, just my kinda luck.

Oops sorry for the double post. It was funnier the first time

[This message has been edited by Indy (edited 10-26-99).]

I'll be getting serious about dual-booting our NT box.

Hmmm... it's NT 4.0 sp4, has one physical drive, two logical drives (c: and D smile.gif, both logicals are NTFS for various reasons.

So, Do I split D: into D: and E:, make e: FAT, and boot off of that? Can I? Any dual-booting PC 'guru's out there?

Then I'll dive into the demo scenario. Then I'll remake some of my favourite maps.

Guest PeterNZ

Making maps is something i'd like to do too, but i'm kinda at a loss on where to look for resources/ideas. I'd want to make something accurate/historical. Online resources would be best i figure smile.gif

PeterNZ

There are a number of commercial sources for 1:25,000 scale European and worldwide maps at very affordable prices. The last time I ordered, I paid $7 a map. The maps are very detailed and include extreme fine detail such as buildings, orchards, trails, areas of brush, churchs, tree lines, etc. They are ideal for platoon level maps but can also work very well for squad level maps. Although the maps are not from 1945, they can still be used with a little interpretation. Dependent on the area, primary changes would be with town sizes, increased road network and perhaps some vegetation changes. But it is definitely much better than nothing. It is amazing the difference in a map made from real terrain and a hypothetical map. And they will be ideal for CM's NATO/Warsaw Pact version < smile.gif>. I haven't bought any maps in a year or so, but I use to get them from Map Link at 805-692-6777 in Santa Barbara, California. The website is at www.maplink.com. There are other sources as well.

The US Geological Survey at www.mappings.usgs.com has a huge collection of 7 1/2 degree quadrangle maps of the US. They are the perfect size for squad level maps. Does anyone know what the equivalent organisations are the European countries?

Ken

[This message has been edited by Ken Talley (edited 10-26-99).]

Dual booting...

I usually go about it like this:

Install Win98 to C drive, 2.1 Gig as FAT-16

Format D drive, 1.2 Gig as FAT-16

Format E drive, 3.5 Gig as FAT-32

Install an absolute Minimum NT install to D

Format F drive, 13Gig, as NTFS

Install full blown NT (the one I use) to F

D Drive also doubles as the place all downloads go.

Seems like alot, but the Min NT install lets me rescue the big NT drive if need be.

You might need to clean off the boot drive to get the non-NT OS loaded there, but I'm not sure. It is likely to be a painful process...

Guest Mikeman

I always read the entire manual first, before I even install the game. Then I will play any training scenario there might be. After that I skim the manual again before jumping into the campaign. When I start to get tired after several hours of campaigning I'll come here and post like crazy.

Mikeman out.

Dudes,

Demo... Demos don't come with manuals.. My advice is to just download it and immediately play against the AI a few times to get a feel for things..

Then venture online and have some fun once you've learnt the basic movement commands.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest PeterNZ

demos come with text files tho, well.. i don't think we'll need one since most stuff will be self explanatory eh? smile.gif But it wouldn't surprise me if it has one. Esp. because non-board afficionados are going to play it hmmm?

I won't be whinning for the full version, i'll enjoy it when it comes no doubt, but i won't be foaming at the mouth, *wipe drool*

PeterNZ

What i'm gonna do with the demo? Simple, don't install it, don't play it. Why?

Because what if the "full-version" gets delayed? Could happen ya know. Then what? Waiting another 4 months? Restless nights allover again? No sir !!! Not for me. I'll just wait and relax till we have a FINAL releasedate....then i'll install and play the demo so i will have plenty to do before the retail is in my hands. In other words...it will be nothing but a dustcollector on my shelf.

On the other hand...probably not smile.gif

Take care y'all

Guest Mikeman

I'm probably the exception to the rule, but to tell you the truth I'm kind of down on demos in general. Not enough documentation comes with them, if any at all. I'm talking text files here, of course. I seem to learn faster, and enjoy the learning experience more when the info I need is in print. I don't seem to have much patience for trial and error stuff. No interface is intuitive enough for me. Interesting though, is when it comes to tactics for CM I prefer trial and error. I want to 'invent' my own tactics that work. Never mind the fact that the very tactics I 'invent' are pasted all over the AARs and many threads, not to mention actual military manuals. I go out of my way not to read that stuff so I can figure out what works myself. So when's the demo coming out? I've got 100MB of drive space reserved for the Readme file. I hope that's enough. smile.gif

Mikeman out.

I'll play it for five minutes and then post a scathing review slamming it because it sux, and because the rivet pattern on the Panther roadwheels is completely wrong. Then I will flay the game mercilessly as an unplayable hash of spaghetti code desperatly needing major re-working because I can only get a frame rate of a lousy 105fps.

Or not, I suspect you won't hear much from me since I'll be way too busy playing to post here or even log on to the Internet.

------------------

If something cannot be fixed by hitting it or by swearing at it, it wasn't worth saving anyway.

Harold, you are my hero, I was just about to say that I am preparing my own blistering firestorm of criticism, but where you're wrong is that you need to FLAME WITHOUT ANY FIRSTHAND KNOWLEDGE. If you don't know better, noone can argue you out of your position! (i.e., Im too lazy to read prvious related threads..)

Foobar,

I'll admit that the classic "l33t R3vI3w" practically requires that the poster have absolutly no first hand experience of the game. However, I don't think the demo will have an opening movie, so I anticipate having to actually load a scenario before I can get enough superficial detail to effectivly "R3vI3w" the game.

[This message has been edited by Harold Jones (edited 10-28-99).]