Map size

Ivanov

I'm a newbie, so I don't know if this has been discussed previously ( for sure it was ) but I'd like to put in my two cents anyway. While in general I'm very pleased with the game, my main complaint would be about the map size. As for my taste they are just too small. They are OK if two small ( company size ) forces face each other. But when two battalions clash, the maps are just too small. There's no room for the maneuver, the units quickly get stuck in the traffic jams because the initial deployment areas are to limited. In most of the cases, it's also possible to engage your opponent forces while they are moving out from the deployment zones. As I said, the maps work fine with less units but with battalion size forces the battles feel a little artificial. I realize that making really huge maps would be a challenge but it would be great to have few of them for some big battles.

I agree with this. It's more of a problem in Red Thunder when the Soviets need numbers and there are only two or three huge maps.

I think cluttered battlefield is more acceptable in case of a WW2 game, where for example the Soviets are battering German positions in a frontal attack. But in modern warfare, with less troops and more potent weapons, the sides should be able to use more loose formations.

There are some included.  I created one that is about 5x4.5 km - as big as CM will allow in a square map.  The limitation is a map can only be so many action squares, so you can go really deep and narrow if you want. I think it was carved up for QBs but I will drop it over to the scenario depot later for use.  Personally I would still go for a less dense unit environment.  These days I think you'd see far less concentration even with a large map.

Honestly not sure yet, I just uploaded.  I think there is an initial check period.  Let me take a look, if I find it I will post a link.

Yeah not showing yet.  Here is a link for dropbox until it shows in the depot. 

up on depot now, link to Dropbox removed

Edited by sburke

Okay I dropped it to the scenario depot for Black Sea.  It is called Ukrainian Crossroads and correction it is 4x4.5 km

Totally fictional location, just a map I tinkered with over time.

Do not forget the repository is going away eventually. The new location is the scenario depot iii or is it iI I cannot keep the version straight. ;)

It is a map only it has no ai plans etc. I don't really use quick battles so you'd have to ask someone with experience in how loading it in your quick battles folder works. Currently it would only work for pbem, or head to head play. 

Hmmm, I'm thinking of a PBEM quick battle.