QB's How to select your troops

Doc844

Now the scenarios that come with the game are brilliant but from reading all the posts on here I can see that QB's open up a whole new world of possibilities in regards playing human opponents and getting games quicker.  However the selection of points and units etc seems, for a beginner quite challenging can anyone point me to a thread maybe where it is explained and simplified so as to make more sense of it.  At the minute it seems to me a bit daft ie for a smaller QB you have to select units from battalion level and then delete what you dont want to get the size down, i mean why cant you just select an individaul company/platoon etc. and build your forces from there.  Any help would be much appreciated.

I play almost exclusively QBs. 

When I bought my first CM game, I was a bit confused about the QB purchase system, requiring a top-down purchase. But...I got used to it fairly quickly; I'm sure you will too. There is no way around it, it is a deliberate design choice, not an accident, bug or oversight. One can go over the reasons but I think it's a fruitless discussion in the long term as it is this way on purpose and won't change.

I hope that doesn't seem argumentative; it's genuinely not meant to be. My impression is more that you want to know how things work than to debate the whys. :)

Going further then:

Formations in the Infantry Branch, if they are, say, Panzergrenadiers, will typically have vehicles stripped out, mostly so can set things to Infantry - only battles and not have the opponent  show up with halftracks. If you want them to have halftracks, then select Mechanized Infantry. 

Once you have a force purchased, if you pick any formation HQ you can see different options show up in the bottom middle of the screen - things like morale, experience, leadership, and fitness. You can have a very variegated force by playing with these options, or set everyone to be veteran fanatics, if that's your wish. You can also leave it on Typical, which will give appropriate adjustments with some randomization appropriate to the time period. 

When it comes to buying single units or vehicles, they Must be subordinated to some HQ. That HQ is indicated by a little yellow arrow, telling you the Panther you're buying will be attached to a Battalion HQ, or some platoon leader well below. You select the HQ before purchase. 

Couple of things to remember: 

- costs vary depending on the 4 big factors - Experience, Moral, Fitness, Leadership. And they can make a huge difference between two otherwise identical units.

- the 4 big factors, as well as uniform options, are the only thing that you can adjust after purchase. Otherwise the settings you apply must be present before purchase - the drop down box next to Formation-team-single vehicle being an obvious example, but also where you attach stuff.

More questions? Please ask. :)

Edited by Bud_B

Remember that each Formation carries a 50 point "Administrative overhead" cost.
This is worth bearing in mind when buying a few vehicles - Single vehicles typically cost a bit more than each of the same vehicle in a formation, but if you only want a couple, the total cost may be less than buying a formation and stripping most out. Worth doing the math ;)

Ditto what @Bud_B said...I also play a LOT of QBSs...one shortcut for a new player is to use the suggest button...this generally does a decent job of picking your units depending on the force  you chose...although you have to look things over...the old trust but verify..I once started a quick battle and got 8 Pak75 AT guns with NO way to move them from the edge of the battlefield..needless to say that was a quit and start over game.

I know it's a but frustrating at first to have to ax units to get down to your points, however, after a while, you'll see it's pretty fast..and it does represent a command decision of what units you might want to cut or add depending on if you have a meeting engagement (I like scout and sniper teams for those) or a defending engagement (more Panzerschrecks).  

As Bud_B, it's also important to mind which HQ you subordinate individual vehicles or teams to..sometimes you might want to stick them with a particular company vice a battalion HQ.

That's part of the fun of QB to me...you can try all kinds of combos to see what works.

Cheers, and have fun!

My success with the Auto-Picker is less than stellar. Now, I can over-ride anything for myself, but were I playing the AI, it becomes frustrating to spend an hour deploying, and playing, to find the AI is facing my combined arms force with a fleet of trucks and scout teams. 

This is not an issue if the QB is against a human, as then both forces are picked by humans. Which is why I never play against the AI. 

True..the AI does some very strange force selections sometimes...I have fought off waves of SU-76s with German infantry on more than 1 Mech Infantry QB.

The alternative is to pick BOTH sides in an AI battle..which eliminates some of the FOW, but at least ensures a more balanced contest...I have fought many great company vs company battles just to see how the relative firepower of a German vs Russian or German vs American unit matches up for a given battle and point size.  AND, in my wee little mind, doesn't really affect the outcome that much because even if you know WHAT your opponent has, you don't know what he will do with it.

I have found that the AI does pretty well in QBs, especially in the later games...I know in CMBS it is pretty darn good.  In CMRT, it ain't no slouch...you can't do anything dumb...:rolleyes:

A lesson I have learned many times.

I have to say thanks for the rapid replies and as you said Bud B, no im not wanting to know the whys and where fors, but suggestions and tips of how to pick forces for QB's.  Lots of nice pointers and tips.  But as you gents are hinting towards, the best wat will be trial and error, maybe start with suggested picks then strip bits out and add a few bits and just play some QB's to get me going.  So my next question ant takers on kicking a noobs arse.  Bootie kicked my butt in a CMBS battle and Dennis kicked my butt in a RT battle, both scenarios so i may as well kick my record going and get my butt kicked in QB's, best way to learn anyway.

A side note on this topic of picking forces (and I'm embarrassed to admit that it took me way too long to realize this): you can purchase formations by simply double-clicking on them, and you can deactivate sub-units on the right with the Backspace key... i.e., there's no need to ever use the mouse and those "Purchase" and "Delete" buttons (that seem so small and so very far away, especially at super hi resolutions). 90% of the people here already knew this, I'm sure, but for the 10% who don't, it can eliminate what was always kinda a minor PITA to me. I still see people on their YouTube vids purchasing and deactivating the 'slow' way -- not sure they know of the keyboard shortcuts? -- and it makes me wonder how I ever lived like such an animal. (LOL)

Holly smoke I did not know that. I have to remember that for next time. Thanks!

Yeah, no problem. Glad it helped someone. I was 6 months into the game before I realized the darn shortcuts even existed! I actually used to kinda dread constructing my forces -- it seemed kinda tedious, really -- but the shortcuts (if you can call 'em that) have made force selection downright fun for me now.

Edited by sttp
I almost always need to edit....