Tunguskas' representation

Euri

Being amazed by the lethality of Tunguska as represented in the game and its spotting quickness, my question is the following: In reality, do these systems have the optics to survey the battlefield and the sky with equal efficiency or they are just buffed up in the CMBS. Have such platforms every been deployed deliberately to engage ground forces?

The use of AAA weapons in direct fire certainly isn't unheard of, the use of the quad-50 mounts in World War Two and Korea against personnel, and the M42 in Vietnam are pretty well documented.  The chief issue is that those, and the ZSU are all AAA weapons being used because they're otherwise unemployed.  What makes direct fire use of AAA assets less desirable in a conventional war is they've got better things to be doing, and are often a low-density asset (or losing one often has an outsized effect on the battlefield).  

I'd make the case for a modern rebuild of the quad 50.

I'm. Using several Tunguska to terrible effect against @Abbasid infantry AND MBTs. As it happens We've both refrained from Air support (it seems... But he's a devious bugger so he could well have some CAS up his sleeve!).  I've enough Tunguska that I can cover against  air and also support my ground units.

In reality,  I'm sure there would be less available  (we turned off rarity)  but it could still be a valid tactic to use this many this close together if you absolutely, positively must blast through an urban defence line. 

Edited by kinophile

The key for use of AAA assets in a ground support role is the absence of enemy CAS. Hence the examples of US use of quad-50 halftracks in WWII and Korea, and the M42 in Vietnam. ans Russian use of of ZSU23 in Afganistan, and of course use use of Flak 88s in Russia and North Africa.

That being said there are examples of the use of AAA in a ground support role in the face of total enemy rule of the air. Col. Von Luck in his book Panzer Commander tells of finding a Luftwaffe Flak 88 battery with its guns pointed in the air during Operation Goodwood in '44, He ordered them to deploy to a certain location and level their guns to take on the British tanks which they did with great effect.

in my current fight with Kinophile I kept my Tunguska in a AA mode until i was sure there were no more drones or CAS present before making the decision to commit it to a ground support role.

Being amazed by the lethality of Tunguska as represented in the game and its spotting quickness, my question is the following: In reality, do these systems have the optics to survey the battlefield and the sky with equal efficiency or they are just buffed up in the CMBS. Have such platforms every been deployed deliberately to engage ground forces?

Not sure about the optical systems, but tung's were used in the first and second Chechen campaigns as direct fire support vehicles.