Night optics and weather

Euri

Testing a scenario I am working on I realised that the weather condition has a huge effect on night vision. For the moment I have tested only night/clear vs night/mist

On open terrain a US squad is advancing towards a stationery Russian recon squad (to have NVG)

Night / Clear: US squad sees the enemy at 550m. The russians at around 350m

Night / Mist: US squad sees the enemy at 550m. The Russians at 50-60 meters (!?)

Update: With fog is even worse for Russians. US spots as usual at 0,5 km distance. Russians at 40m!

Edited by Euri

Testing a scenario I am working on I realised that the weather condition has a huge effect on night vision. For the moment I have tested only night/clear vs night/mist

On open terrain a US squad is advancing towards a stationery Russian recon squad (to have NVG)

Night / Clear: US squad sees the enemy at 550m. The russians at around 350m

Night / Mist: US squad sees the enemy at 550m. The Russians at 50-60 meters (!?)

Update: With fog is even worse for Russians. US spots as usual at 0,5 km distance. Russians at 40m!

This is interesting.  Thanks for posting.  If I understand the test the US squad was advancing and spotted the stationary Russian squad before the Russian squad saw the moving US squad?  Was the US squad straight infantry or some kind of recon/scout type unit?  

Also think in terms of how the systems work anyway.  Most NVGs are simply aplifying a different flavor of light waves.  If it's something that reflects light effectively, it'll mess with NODs pretty badly.  Heat still transmits fairly effectively through mist and fog (especially when dealing with active heat sources like a human body).  This is one of the reasons why US infantry is being outfitted with the combo thermal/passive IR type devices, and why weapons mounted thermal optics are employed.  

Ok! When we talk about MIST in CMBS it should be something like very thik like from a horror movie! (although my graphics card does not show any effect). I did the test again with Russian Recon (with NVGs) approached by a Ukrainian squad (no NVGs). The Russians spottted first at 30 meters and the Ukrainians at 20 meters or less.