Recommendation for training infantry tactics

Just throught I would share this, as it really helped me: If you're an intermediate player who did the Normandy campaigns and single battles, and got pretty good at that, but want to improve your core infantry skills, try setting up quick battles with these rules:

Mission: Attack, no force multiplier.

Battle size: Tiny or Small

Map size: Medium

Time: 2 hours

Your force: US Mechanized Infantry (computer selects forces)

Enemy force: German Infantry Only (computer selects forces)

Then try various QB maps and see how you have to adapt to variable terrain, long/short LOS, and whatever you get to work with.

I find that this setup really helps learn to use infantry right. The mechanized infantry is "poor bloody infantry", they have just rifles, and every German seems to be toting a MG. So you're forced to learn to use your HMGs well, provide covering fire, read the landscape, etc. I learned so much about the effects of distance by doing this. It's not something that the campaigns really teach, as most of those battles take place in close terrain. Also, with Mech inf, some of your force points go into halftracks that are next to useless in combat, so there's a natural drain on your resources, providing an extra challenge.

By forcing yourself to work with whatever the computer comes up with, you often have to be creative, instead of just rolling up a tank to blast anything that moves. You'll learn to make the most of every asset, even a humble M8 armoured recon car can be a true blessing!

One of the things I learnt was when to split squads, and when not to. Distance is the key. At long distances, if you keep the squad together, they all benefit from the binoculars. If you split the squad, only the team with the leader gets the spotting bonus.  At 2-300 metres, riflemen can engage targets and score some hits, but only if they actually spot the enemy. And this is unlikely without the binoculars.

My rule of thumb has become to split squads at less than 100 metres.

Edited by Bulletpoint

One of the things I learnt was when to split squads, and when not to. Distance is the key. At long distances, if you keep the squad together, they all benefit from the binoculars. If you split the squad, only the team with the leader gets the spotting bonus.  At 2-300 metres, riflemen can engage targets and score some hits, but only if they actually spot the enemy. And this is unlikely without the binoculars.

My rule of thumb has become to split squads at less than 100 metres.

Hmmmmm, this is interesting.  I may have to play around with this.  Is this your SOP in CMBS also?  (If you have CMBS)