Artillery vs C2

Hi, am playing Road To Montebourg bij Paper Tiger (great campaign btw!) 

Noticed in the Glider Infantry missions that platoon HQ's without a radio and outside C2 range

are able to call on- and offmap assets. Is anyone familiar with this kind of behavior?

Game engine 3, V3.11, revised Road To Montebourg campaign.

Regards P

Save game added

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqiq3sjercrawy8/The%20Road%20to%20Montebourg%20C2%20test.bts?dl=0

Hi, am playing Road To Montebourg bij Paper Tiger (great campaign btw!) 

Noticed in the Glider Infantry missions that platoon HQ's without a radio and outside C2 range

are able to call on- and offmap assets. Is anyone familiar with this kind of behavior?

Game engine 3, V3.11, revised Road To Montebourg campaign.

Regards P

As womble said this is normal behavior.  If the F/O or CO is KIA then the team would not be able to call for fire any more.

I just had this same thing happen in a PBEM.  A Platoon HQ had a fire mission under way when the RTO was KIA.  The HQ team was still able to adjust and call in additional missions without the RTO.  I have read before that this simulates a field telephone for arty call purposes.  (Still no vertical sharing of info however) 

Below are some screenshots of the incident.  (CMFI).

No%20Radio%20Arty%20Call%201_zpsn0jsb8ls

No%20Radio%20Arty%20Call%202._zpst36y9no

I believe it was said that this is an abstraction of field telephones ( and other options as c3k mentioned ) which it would be too difficult to code and/or represent.

I wonder if that abstraction goes too far, when it extends to every single command element on the battlefield. I'm pretty sure there weren't wires laid to every transitory position a platoon leader or section leader took during a battle of the scale depicted in CM. I'd've thought it'd be pretty rare, in fact, especially in formations where those elements already have comms in the form of portable radios. Company HQs and heavy/support platoons, sure. It doesn't seem that much of an extra burden to give an extra flag to each unit as to whether they are wire-equipped or not, for consideration of their C2 and support call privileges. You could even have it as an option in the force selection screen like tank marque and ManPAT launcher loadout (for example) are.

<Snip>  Company HQs and heavy/support platoons, sure. It doesn't seem that much of an extra burden to give an extra flag to each unit as to whether they are wire-equipped or not, for consideration of their C2 and support call privileges. You could even have it as an option in the force selection screen like tank marque and ManPAT launcher loadout (for example) are.

This is an interesting idea.  Also maybe only have the field telephone as an option for Company and heavy support platoons on the defense (for additional points). Since they would probably be in prepared positions where their offensive counterparts would be more likely to be moving and maybe not have time to string new wire in a combat mission time frame.   

This is an interesting idea.  Also maybe only have the field telephone as an option for Company and heavy support platoons on the defense (for additional points). Since they would probably be in prepared positions where their offensive counterparts would be more likely to be moving and maybe not have time to string new wire in a combat mission time frame.   

I think restricting it to defensive stances is too restrictive. The art of laying wire was pretty established by then and could be done on the fly without too much bother.

So, when superior commanders are not on the map, the C2 links under the HQ portrait shows they are present.

Does this mean that when such HQ are not in the scenario (not defined) or arriving later as reinforcements that they are implicitly part of the radio network?

Thanks.

It doesn't say anything about them arriving as reinforcements. If you've got a Company on the map, and that's all you're ever going to have, the Battalion will be there in the C3 listing.