From 0 to 16

Hello guys,

Situation : I am playing "last defense" and i choosed the british forces.

I had deployed my 3 mortars and soon the spotter gave  mortar team A order to fire. After a few rounds the mortar team A was out of ammution.

I remembered an  situation in another game where unit A beneath unit B suddenly get 6 grenades. I played this scene so often but i cant detect which team share them grenades. Now i decided to move the mortar team A to mortar B team which is full of ammution. I wooop, next turn the mortar team A is full of ammution once more, with the same quantity of ammution like unit B. A bug or a thrown down from a supply aircraft?

It is totally cool - sort of :)  It is cool that the game tracks this but the ammo sharing like this is one mag at a time.  Now it is certainly possible that the sharing team cannot spare much more than that but it will be one mag at a time no matter how much ammo the sharing guys have.  So as team A fires when one guy runs out of ammo he will get another single mag and so on.  It would be nice if there was some way to manage this so you could do some ammo levelling or even if the game did some automatically - like at a certain threshold they gave the other team two mags or three mags each.

Someday maybe.

Interesting: they share one ammo load of Garand ammo. (8 round clips: one per weapon.) Isn't that cool?  :)

It is totally cool - sort of :)  It is cool that the game tracks this but the ammo sharing like this is one mag at a time.  <Snip>

Hmmm, so that is why it was 24 rounds.  I didn't know how the AI came up with the number.  If C-Team would have had a Thompson, or just ammo for a Thompson, C-Team would have given A-Team one mag for the one Thompson that A-Team has? 

Since the two teams are from the same squad they can be recombined and I think level the M-1 Garand ammo that way.

Cool, cool game. :)  

If C-Team would have had a Thompson, or just ammo for a Thompson, C-Team would have given A-Team one mag for the one Thompson that A-Team has? 

Since the two teams are from the same squad they can be recombined and I think level the M-1 Garand ammo that way.

Cool, cool game. :)  

Yes, yes and agreed :D

It is totally cool - sort of :)  It is cool that the game tracks this but the ammo sharing like this is one mag at a time.  Now it is certainly possible that the sharing team cannot spare much more than that but it will be one mag at a time no matter how much ammo the sharing guys have.  So as team A fires when one guy runs out of ammo he will get another single mag and so on.  It would be nice if there was some way to manage this so you could do some ammo levelling or even if the game did some automatically - like at a certain threshold they gave the other team two mags or three mags each.

Someday maybe.

Indeed. It would indeed be nice if the sharing was more level:

In my current Sheriff of Oosterbeek game (the missing lock pin and all that) I have two Bren teams from the same detachment (or whatever the british term is), both out of ammo. So I sent one team back to the jeep to pick up some more 303 rounds. Now this team has got about 270 rounds, but it only shares one mag (32 rounds I think) at a time with it´s sister team. So it has to stay within two action spots to ensure that the other team doesn´t run out of ammo. Would be nice if they would just split the rounds between the two teams.

On the other hand, I noticed for the first time that ammo sharing worked with jeeps too! I moved a jeep up to some teams that needed 9mm ammo so they could embark and acquire the rounds. But at the end of the turn when the jeep and the troops were next to each other the 9mm rounds were automatically shared between all the adjacent units. Cool - as well as a bit surprising.

I never realized that ammo sharing worked with jeeps - or is this a relatively new feature? And are there limitations to the sharing, meaning that they have to be part of the same unit or somesuch? When I later tried this with the Bren team mentioned before, there was no ammo sharing - the team had to enter the jeep and "acquire". What´s the difference?

In my current Sheriff of Oosterbeek game (the missing lock pin and all that) I have two Bren teams from the same detachment (or whatever the british term is), both out of ammo. So I sent one team back to the jeep to pick up some more 303 rounds. Now this team has got about 270 rounds, but it only shares one mag (32 rounds I think) at a time with it´s sister team. So it has to stay within two action spots to ensure that the other team doesn´t run out of ammo. Would be nice if they would just split the rounds between the two teams.

If they're from the same detatchment (squad) as has been said, you can level the ammo out by recombining them and then splitting them again. Of course there are other factors which may be preventing you doing that, like time, or lack of sufficient surviving personnel to permit re-splitting.

I never realized that ammo sharing worked with jeeps - or is this a relatively new feature? And are there limitations to the sharing, meaning that they have to be part of the same unit or somesuch? When I later tried this with the Bren team mentioned before, there was no ammo sharing - the team had to enter the jeep and "acquire". What´s the difference?

Actual ammo sharing between units works the same whatever the unit is. AIUI, the only time an element will share with (as opposed to give up to an Acquire operation) another which isn't part of the same organisational subunit (i.e. highlights at the same time) is if it's an ammo dump (a vehicle put onto the scenario map by the designer in "dismounted" mode - not available in QBs), which will share promiscuously.

If they're from the same detatchment (squad) as has been said, you can level the ammo out by recombining them and then splitting them again. Of course there are other factors which may be preventing you doing that, like time, or lack of sufficient surviving personnel to permit re-splitting.

Good thought but it sounds like they are two independent Bren teams from recon platoon.  Even if they were from a regular platoon the British platoons do not have two Bren guns in any formation I can see.  So unless one was recovered from another section I do not believe there are any instances where two Bren gun teams can recombine.

Good thought but it sounds like they are two independent Bren teams from recon platoon.  Even if they were from a regular platoon the British platoons do not have two Bren guns in any formation I can see.  So unless one was recovered from another section I do not believe there are any instances where two Bren gun teams can recombine.

Oh, recon. Aye. I was assuming they must've been airborne, to have more than one Bren per squad.