Brick Walls and Alpha Channels

O.k. gents I have been beating my head against afore mentioned wall trying to figure out how to apply a alpha channel to the brick wall to give it a chunky "shot up" look. Now I know that the transparent sections/gaps will still block view and direct fire. I just desire a more rough look for the wall yet I cannot get a alpha channel to work with it.

Right now I just have the uniform texture of the wall broken in places with broken bricks texture placed in these sections to represent  the impact of objects against the wall damaging it.

I also feel this maybe a futile effort as if the top edge of the wall is transparent in spots it will make the wall appear "hollow" between the side textures.Screenshot (68).bmp

Edited by mech.gato

O.k. love the windows. And Heckle and Jeckle. Oldies but goodies. But I still cannot get a alpha channel to save my life. I add a alpha channel. Select the area I want transparent and export 32 bit, advanced settings A8 R8 G8 B8. And all I get is a black wall. does this in add alpha channel or color to alpha. I am running the latest version of Gimp.

FYI, I do 3d modeling for a train simulator program so I am familiar with Gimp. Though this version is still new to me. As is bmp's with transparencies. I mostly deal with tga's.