Troops Deploying In Enemy Territory

Title says it all. I am totally stumped. I understand scenario creation well enough to at least be able to setup each side on its own side. And I do it in a way where it's impossible to miss anything. I deploy and then, when the map loads, I +/- through every single troop one at a time and place it where I want. I do this for both sides. When I then check each setup, going through each side and doing a head count, everybody is accounted for and on their side.

But when i start the actual game (and I've tried this playing both Allied and Axis) on breach and one truck of the Axis ends up in Allied territory. On the scenario map, they are not where the game is putting them on startup of the battle.

Has anybody else ever run into this problem because it has me totally stumped. I have tried editing several times with no luck.

** EDIT ** I found the problem. Scratch what I said about knowing how to deploy my troops. It helps when you can read the difference between N and S.

That's what happens when you build a map that is so symmetrical that you can't tell one end from the other.  :huh:

Edited by wagtunes

Interesting I can only thing of one thing that could cause that (outside of a defect, or your error). That would be if those units were added to an AI group and there was an AI plan that had a setup area for that group inside Allied territory.

If that were the case then when you played as the Axis it would not happen and when you played as the Allies in Basic Training mode all would look fine until you started the game and then the truck would jump from the Axis side to the Allied side as the AI moved the units from where you deployed them to their assigned AI starting locations.

Honestly I would start by checking again one more time to see if you did make a mistake.  Then check if any AI plans are messing with you head.  After that I would un purchase the truck and purchase it again and then deploy it to a different starting location and see what happens.

Interesting I can only thing of one thing that could cause that (outside of a defect, or your error). That would be if those units were added to an AI group and there was an AI plan that had a setup area for that group inside Allied territory.

If that were the case then when you played as the Axis it would not happen and when you played as the Allies in Basic Training mode all would look fine until you started the game and then the truck would jump from the Axis side to the Allied side as the AI moved the units from where you deployed them to their assigned AI starting locations.

Honestly I would start by checking again one more time to see if you did make a mistake.  Then check if any AI plans are messing with you head.  After that I would un purchase the truck and purchase it again and then deploy it to a different starting location and see what happens.

I edited my above post.

Translation: I'm an idiot.

The forces for each side will only deploy within the confines of the designated set up zone where those particular units are placed when you place them in the editor.  If there is no set up zone then the forces will remain where deployed unless there is an AI plan.  If you have a unit assigned to a particular AI  group and the AI group start waypoint is placed on the map within a set up zone then the AI will deploy those units assigned to its start waypoint split between the start waypoint locations that are within the confines of the set up zone in its entirety.  Therefore, if you have a set up waypoint that is not contiguous then the AI will deploy them between the non contiguous set up waypoints.  If you have a set up waypoint that is not located within the confines of a setup zone then the AI will not use it.  All start waypoints must be located within a set up zone in order for the AI to use them.  Only units within a specific set up zone that are assigned to an AI group will use a set up waypoint located within that specific setup zone.  Units assigned to an AI group that are outside of a setup zone will not deploy to that AI group's start waypoint regardless of where the start waypoint is located.

Without seeing what you are doing exactly my guess is that you have units assigned to a AI group and you created a setup waypoint, chose to move it somewhere else, and either forgot to entirely delete the old setup waypoint (thus the game is splitting up the AI troops between the non contiguous set up waypoint locations leaving you confused and perplexed) or you purchased axis units while in the allied purchase section of the editor (which is possible, although not necessarily intuitive so I think it is most likely that you screwed up your AI plans).

I'm thinking that perhaps diving into the editor on day one wasn't necessarily the best way to approach things.  The editor can be difficult for many to grasp and the amount of content that is produced by the community reflects that.  Maybe with a little more seasoning playing the game itself you might get a better handle on how things work before upping the difficulty level on yourself.  Just tossing it out there before you get neck deep in some project, get frustrated or overwhelmed by the work load, and decide that perhaps creating content isn't your thing for this iteration of combat mission.  I'm sure the community will appreciate whatever you can give them, but many have tried and few have persisted at creating content.  It isn't for the faint of heart.

I edited my above post.

Translation: I'm an idiot.

LOL. Hey, there's a HUGE difference between plopping some flag objectives on a map to what goes on in CMX2. So, it's gonna take time.

You want idiocy? One time I lost my floating icons and started a thread trying to figure out what happened to them...I'd turned them off and forgot.

Mord.

LOL. Hey, there's a HUGE difference between plopping some flag objectives on a map to what goes on in CMX2. So, it's gonna take time.

You want idiocy? One time I lost my floating icons and started a thread trying to figure out what happened to them...I'd turned them off and forgot.

Mord.

And then there's "Trees" and "Smoke" turned off and "Why can't my troops see that obvious target?" posts...

And then there's "Trees" and "Smoke" turned off and "Why can't my troops see that obvious target?" posts...

Yeah, those are fun :)

LOL.  Yeah I regularly turn off land marks and objectives to take screen shots and then spend a while the next turn feeling a bit dazed and confused as to where things are until I realize they are off.  Thank goodness I have not started a thread like that before :D

I once spent several hours trying to figure out why my AI plan setup zones were not being respected until I realized that the AI does not place its troops into the AI plan setup locations until you press the BRB and start the first turn.  I might have posted about that problem - but I cannot remember (if I did then I would be forgetting on purpose).

You guys are funny. LOL. Yeah, the editor in CMBN is way more advanced than in CMBB but still, if I don't do simple things like look at what direction I'm pointing in when deploying my troops (duh!) of course things are going to go wrong.

Anyway, I corrected my error and the scenario now plays correctly. I still have some more additions to make so that it's more even. Right now, it's heavily favored to the allies and I'd like to tighten it up a bit. It's a delicate balance and the toughest part of designing a scenario...making it fair for both sides, relatively speaking. Naturally, some scenarios are meant to be more difficult for one side but they should never be near unwinnable.

Add sound to that and I have probably experienced everyone of those privately.

Thank goodness I have not started a thread like that before :D

Yeah, I was feeling pretty stupid after that one. But in defense of said stupidity it was back in the early days of CMSF, wasn't quite used to all the new fangled doohickies and thingamabobs.

Mord.