unrealistic tank movement/rotation in ww2 titles

why do we have unrealistic, slow movement, or to be more precise rotation of tanks. they are at least 50% slower than RL tanks in ww2 (rotation mainly)

is it because of balance or just engine limitations? (Black sea has almost identical RL rotation speed)

if its only because of some sort of balance, why not make tanks more expensive or add rarity, or make infantry better against them @ close ranges

i do not get it 

Edited by Lacroix

There is a long thread on this subject somewhere. In a nutshell: tanks have instant reaction times, tanks are allowed to ignore obstructing terrain such as trees and narrow streets when rotating, many WW2 era tanks were not even capable of rotating but are allowed to in-game. So rotation speeds are slowed down to compensate for the other advantages tanks already enjoy.

Just to add to what Vanir already posted - turning in place was particularly discouraged for German tank drivers because it was very hard on the drive train and various mechanical bits.  For example, these instructions were given to Elefant drivers

Steering movements will be made only when they are unavoidable.  The driver will select an orientation point on the horizon that is in his general direction of travel and move directly towards it.  Bends in the road will not be followed.  Regulation D-656/1

Steer only in areas where there is little resistance to the steering movement.  The driver must plan ahead when he moves, searching for small rises and solid ground upon which to make steering movements.  Regulation D-656/1

Do not make steering movements on bridges or tracks, since this may destroy them and damage the suspension when making such movements on tracks.  Regulation D-656/1

Make all directional changes with as wide a turn as possible.  Make tight turns or pivot steer only when absolutely necessary.  Regulation D-656/1

Even modern day tankers here have asserted that you don't rotate on the spot as a matter of course, because it's too easy to throw a track. It's worth noting that even trucks get to spin on the spot (not something that an Opel or even a 6x6 ever had the capacity to do) to make things easier for the TacAI.

Just to add to what Vanir already posted - turning in place was particularly discouraged for German tank drivers because it was very hard on the drive train and various mechanical bits.  For example, these instructions were given to Elefant drivers

Steering movements will be made only when they are unavoidable.  The driver will select an orientation point on the horizon that is in his general direction of travel and move directly towards it.  Bends in the road will not be followed.  Regulation D-656/1

Steer only in areas where there is little resistance to the steering movement.  The driver must plan ahead when he moves, searching for small rises and solid ground upon which to make steering movements.  Regulation D-656/1

Do not make steering movements on bridges or tracks, since this may destroy them and damage the suspension when making such movements on tracks.  Regulation D-656/1

Make all directional changes with as wide a turn as possible.  Make tight turns or pivot steer only when absolutely necessary.  Regulation D-656/1

You read my mind. I got done reading The Combat History of 653 and very specific instruction were given to the Elefant drivers about how to steer, what kind of roads to drive on etc due to issues with the steering mechanism. They were instructed not to drive on uneven roads for example. Turning in place was very tough on the drive train. This was also true to some extent for the Jagdtiger. Great reading.

You read my mind. I got done reading The Combat History of 653 and very specific instruction were given to the Elefant drivers about how to steer, what kind of roads to drive on etc due to issues with the steering mechanism. They were instructed not to drive on uneven roads for example. Turning in place was very tough on the drive train. This was also true to some extent for the Jagdtiger. Great reading.

but elefant is heavy TD/ass gun , what about sherman,pz4,pz3,crusader etc. they are turet tanks and less heavy

I would tend to agree tanks like the Sherman probably should be able to rotate faster since they're pretty nimble and don't have the mechanical problems the German TD's have. I guess the devs made a compromise like Vanir said due to the advantages tanks have.

but elefant is heavy TD/ass gun , what about sherman,pz4,pz3,crusader etc. they are turet tanks and less heavy

From what I understand, US tanks could not neutral steer.  Some British types could, and the Pz 3 and Pz 4 could not, although they apparently could do a form of it on smooth ground.  I found this old discussion on another forum that looks pretty complete, perhaps you can find some answers there.  Overall though, I don't think the game is too far off from reality considering how the various vehicles might react to different ground conditions and the fact that the game doesn't model mechanical reliability.

http://www.tank-net.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38431

Most tanks that lacked neutral steer could lock one track and pivot on that. It's a larger turn radius but is otherwise just as effective.

The Sherman couldn't even do that, however. I don't recall the details, but something about its transmission required it to have both tracks turning. Consequently it turned around like an automobile, backing up and pulling forward. US tankers complained about this bitterly after watching panzers pirouette.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B