Tank gun horizontal stabilization

Alexey K

Playing CMBS I've noticed that when tank turns main turrent always stays fixed relative to it's hull, thus losing LOS to target. This looks weird as there is any number of videos with tanks maneuring and their guns staying sticked on target regardless of hull movement. 

Something like this: https://youtu.be/jh4F3J9-9sA?t=21

But in game tanks seem to lack automatic horizontal stabilization at all.

P.S. Since I've played only Russian side, I've oberved this behaviour for T-72 and T-90 series. I have no idea how it works for Abrams.

I see some small adjustments to the turret when, for example, a T-72 is ordered to target light a precise spot at 90 degree on the side. It will shoot the coaxial MG while moving and make small turns to the turret to keep it aligned.

-It's not as smooth as one would imagine, that's for sure.

When it comes to the same movement using the main gun (target a precise spot) it will aim and shoot the main gun, then the turret will keep fixed for the time of the re-loading and then the gunner re-acquires the target aims and shoots again.

Maybe this second case depends on the fact that the T-72 autoloader requires the turret to be fixed in position? Or can the system rotate independently even during the loading process of the main gun?

I see this often. Say my tank moves forward and spots a target to its right. It will turn its gun to face the target. Then my tank hits some waypoints forming a turn and the vehicle itself begins to turn. Say my waypoints formed a right turn, now the the tank is turning right and the gun remains fixed, meaning it is now aiming too much to the right. It is only when the tank resumes straight driving or stops, that the gun begins to realign.

Said simpler, the guns orientation remains fixed relative to the hull during any turn. This is often more noticable during "panic reversals" where the tank feels overmatched and turns, then backs into cover.

Edited by Muzzleflash1990

It's always been like this in the CMx2 titles. It's been noted and remarked upon many times on these forums. I don't recall the issue ever being addressed by BFC-core. Maybe it's an engine limitation that turret elements cannot counterrotate against the hull rotation, maybe it's just not reached the top of the "refine this feature" list yet (I'd hazzard it's the latter, since wheels can rotate independently of the hull...), but thanks for reminding of another thing that could do with a look at some point. Lots of people have lost tanks that might otherwise have survived to this weakness in the simulation.

But I thought the point of the thread was if you have are already pointing at a threat and moving, the movement of the hull is throwing off the alignment of the turret on the threat.  I would believe from playing Steel Beasts and my reading that in modern MBTs, the gun remains aligned horizontally and vertically with the threat.  But, again, I might be misunderstanding.

But I thought the point of the thread was if you have are already pointing at a threat and moving, the movement of the hull is throwing off the alignment of the turret on the threat.

I think the OP was talking about hull rotation, which typically happens in reaction to a new threat. If by "moving" you mean driving forward, tanks have no problem staying on target.

Again, my question still is if this is just visual, or does it impact actual firing and accuracy?

It absolutely does impact the game. It doesn't affect accuracy AFAIK, just the ability of the vehicle to bring/maintain its tube to/on the correct bearing, which can delay firing at off-axis threats.

Edited by womble