New CM Command "Join"

Sorry if this was answered in a previous thread, but I'd like to see a JOIN command on the infantry menu. That way, I can combine rag-tag groups of men (2 of 12, 3 of 9, etc.) together and pool ammo if one group of 4 is at LOW ammo and a group of 3 has some ammo left.

I think this would be realistic. I was playing a game the other day and ended up having three wounded rifle squads next to eachother. Each squad was comprised of about 2-4 men. One was outta ammo, the others had a little left. I desperately wanted to join them together as one sqaud of 8 and continue an assault on a German position.

Perhaps this is something that could be added easily now, later in a patch for CM1, or in CM2 if the general consensus thinks this is a good feature.

Any thoughts??

BTS, thanks for a wonderful game. I am really looking forward to its release.

Merry Christmas,

TeAcH

PS. Fionn, keep up the good work. What a source of WW2 knowledge you are! How do you remember it all?? And, don't let some of the chat get you down.

I have thougth about this happening also. Seeing all of those WWII movies about shattered squads forming rag-tag groups after a defeat. I would rather have one squad up to full strength than 3 squads at 1/3. However, soon MANY problems arise. What will the squad be called if you mix a SMG squad, a Rifle squad and a Volksgrenedier Squad? It is easy enough to calculate firepower, I guess. But, what are the restrictions? Couldn't someone just divide a 2 squads with uneven firepower (9 M1, 2 Tommy Guns, 1 BAR & one squad with, 9 M1, 1 Tommy Gun, 2 BAR) and joining the 2 strong halves (4 M1, 1 Tommy Gun 1 BAR & 4 M1, 1 Tommy Gun, 1 BAR), resulting in one squad having for example... 10 M1 Rifles, 1 Tommy Gun, and 1 BAR, with the other one having 8 M1's 2 Tommy Guns and 2 BAR's? This could open up an avenue to cheating, by allowing one to create a-historical super squads with an abnormal amount of heavy weapons.

What about the skill of the unit? Veterans mixing with conscripts, what will be the result? Will it turn into a regular, or green squad? What if it were 6 Conscrips and 2 Veteran? 2 Veteran, 1 Elite, 2 Regular, 2 Green, 1 Conscript? Sure, the computer could average out the skill, but, in reality you will probably tend to worsen the quality of troops. Veterans having to take care of FNG's will tend to get killed much faster than with other veterans, or just on their own.

Not to slam your idea, I had it myself and indeed it did occasionally happen in the heat of battle. But, most squad reorganization occured after the conflict was over and there was time, as is modeled in the operations by giving squads (not broken) reinforcements. Possibly it is already included in the game, or could be included within a future patch (however, I don't think the game needs a patch!), it is up to the historical realists to decide this one!

[This message has been edited by Major Tom (edited 12-17-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

We decided against this a long time ago. The reason is that the unit ratings stand for more than the individuals, but also how well they work together as a team. While survivors did band together to make more cohesive units, this was done after the battle, not during. Sure, a Sgt. might collect some stragglers during a battle, but do you really think those guys are going to follow that Sgt. like he was their own? *MAYBE* if they were from the same platoon, but even then not necessarily. Then there is the problem of mixing units of different experiences together and what to do with that.

Yesh smile.gif

It is more realistic to keep the guys seperate the way CM works right now. If you take your shattered units and bunch them up you will basically get the realistic results of scooping up stragglers and having them fight as one "unit".

Steve

Actually I would rather have 2 weak units of 4 men each than 1 strong unit of 8 men.

Why? Well warfare is part attrition and part maneuvre. The amount of maneuvre possible with a single tactical unit is low while the amount of maneuvre possible with 2 tactical units is much greater.

Also, while I think squad consolidation occured AFTER firefights I sure think it would be an abused feature if allowed during firefights.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Steve said:

"Yesh"

I believe a far better exclamation is "Sheeeyt," said while spitting.

DjB

ps DAMMIT EVERY time I try to post an answer to a question SOMEBODY ELSE beats me to it. If it's not Fionn it's SSPzLead. I'm trying to show my intellect here, get into the running for beta-tester on CM2, and I'm always in somebody's shadow!

Sheeeyt {spits}

Steve,

I understand why joining squads on the battlefield isn't included, but will there be any provision for joining squads between scenarios in an operation? I think it would be pretty annoying to keep dragging along these 2-man infantry squads by the end of an operation.

------------------

--

Kevin Allegood

Guest Big Time Software

Kevin, this happens automatically. As long as the unit isn't cut off it will receive reinforcements or be disolved and consolodated with another unit.

Steve