iMac user settings

To all iMac users out there!

I just purchased an iMac yesterday and it is stunning how much difference the graphics are from my 2011 MacBook Pro. It's like a different game.

I put shadows on, highest detail of vehicles/trees etc and it flowed smoothly on even the largest of battles. I am totally impressed.

I do have a question. I have been playing around with the resolution and some other details in the options menu.  Some resolutions/settings make the vehicles look a little flatter, or the screen seems stretched a bit.  What do you think is the best resolution setting and other options?

Thanks!

Since no one replied I'll give you my own experience - I have a MacBook Pro with a display of 2880x1800 - I left the resolution setting as default. All other settings are at max. I don't have anti aliasing on, that's the only exception.

I don't find anything looking stretched or distorted. Have you tried hitting the "C" key to get into and out of widescreen mode and see if that gives you a more appealing view?

ChappyCanuck,

I've seen the Retina displays on both the 27" and 21.5 iMacs and instantly and frustratingly fell deeply in cyber love. No more screenshot envy! While waxing lyrical about them at the Mac section over at Best Buy, one of the tech people heard me and piped up: "We call it a super hi res display, with a computer thrown in for free." So true. To see something like those, while campaigning a late 2009 Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, with 256 MB VRAM, was like entering cyber heaven, but with only a 10-minute pass! Since I don't yet have a new iMac, I can but wish you a swift and painless solution to your technical problem.

Regards,

John Kettler

ChappyCanuck,

I've seen the Retina displays on both the 27" and 21.5 iMacs and instantly and frustratingly fell deeply in cyber love. No more screenshot envy! While waxing lyrical about them at the Mac section over at Best Buy, one of the tech people heard me and piped up: "We call it a super hi res display, with a computer thrown in for free." So true. To see something like those, while campaigning a late 2009 Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, with 256 MB VRAM, was like entering cyber heaven, but with only a 10-minute pass! Since I don't yet have a new iMac, I can but wish you a swift and painless solution to your technical problem.

Regards,

John Kettler

My girlfriend and I laughed so hard when I read this to her.  She said, "He sounds just like you!"  thanks for the chuckle!

Since no one replied I'll give you my own experience - I have a MacBook Pro with a display of 2880x1800 - I left the resolution setting as default. All other settings are at max. I don't have anti aliasing on, that's the only exception.

I don't find anything looking stretched or distorted. Have you tried hitting the "C" key to get into and out of widescreen mode and see if that gives you a more appealing view?

Thanks Bud. I tried widescreen mode to no avail.  The graphics are amazing on this beast...maybe I'm just used to looking at the tanks another way

I tried this but it makes the game screen very small on my 27" screen

Wow!  When I open the game in "desktop" resolution, the start up and intro screens are very small.  But as soon as you load a game, it goes to full screen and the graphics are even better than before.  I am really blown away by this iMac, can you tell? :)

Wow!  When I open the game in "desktop" resolution, the start up and intro screens are very small.  But as soon as you load a game, it goes to full screen and the graphics are even better than before.  I am really blown away by this iMac, can you tell? :)

That's true, on my MacBook thise screens have a lot of black around them. I do used to it it never occurred to me that it might not be normal!

Glad you like it; the iMac has a stellar screen!