When Grad fell on Mariupol

This short clip (gore free, not a casualty to be seen) shows what it's like on the ground when Grad starts coming down. Truly remarkable dash cam footage, and that's putting it mildly. It's evidently part of a larger piece (16 minutes) shot by the infamous Azov Battalion. Grad may not obliterate a grid square, at least in a city, but it sure mauls it. May be old hat to some of you, but it's new to me.

Regards,

John Kettler

I'm starting to think everyone but me saw the terrifying video first. I've seen lots and lots of combat footage, but nothing like this before. Clearly, the weapon system was well named. Also, I couldn't help think about the "burning hail" (bad interpretation of meteors, things unknown to science when the King James version of the Bible was being written) of the Book of Exodus, where burning hail set ablaze all the crops and was one of the Seven Plagues of Egypt. 

Regards,

John Kettler

I've seen literally thousands of photos from WW II showing devastation, including of urban areas. And they are devastated, make no mistake about that. But that was then and there. I think the thing that can be so disturbing about much of the footage we are seeing from Ukraine and also the Middle East is that a lot of it looks more or less like places in my own country. Change the lettering on the signs and you could be almost anywhere in the US or modern Europe. They even drive some of the same cars. It brings home the thought and feeling that "Yes, it could happen here."

Michael

Michael Emrys,

What I find particularly upsetting is the incredibly abrupt transition from normal life to what must seem like the end of it. Nor have I ever seen fire come down en masse relative to virtual me. Than goodness it wasn't IMAX with state-of-the-art sound, including speakers under the chair! Don't know whether you noticed it, but I clearly saw a Dominos on the right shortly before the sky fell. 

Regards,

John Kettler

It shows the indiscriminate and brutal nature of the fighting in Ukraine. The Grad system is inherently inaccurate, and shows that it is fired into towns to terrorize people, not for any tactical military purpose. I didnt see any military targets around in the video, did I miss one?

It shows the indiscriminate and brutal nature of the fighting in Ukraine. The Grad system is inherently inaccurate, and shows that it is fired into towns to terrorize people, not for any tactical military purpose. I didnt see any military targets around in the video, did I miss one?

Absolutely agree, That was H & I fire of the most indiscriminate kind.

I think you didn't miss one, Grad did it.

That wasn't H&I, that implies some marginal military utility, it was the intentional terrorizing of an utterly helpless civilian population.  The sheer tragedy of Putin setting this kind of war loose to keep him and his friends in Dachas with hot and cold running blondes is simply overwhelming to think about.  Especially since a retirement package that included more of both of those things than he could ever make a dent in was negotiable right up until he loosed the Four Horsemen to run run wild through the Donbass.  Might still be for that matter, everyone this mess touches will be worse off for at least a generation, no matter who "wins". It would be worth paying him off and installing him in the Swiss Alps somewhere just to make this stupidity stop.  Any economic assets worth fighting over are guaranteed to be smoking wreckage by the time the fighting is over.

dan/california,

Emphatically concur. H & I consists of throwing a round or two at random intervals onto a road junction the enemy uses. If there's every a war in which massed Grad fire is H & I, then I urgently need to be at least one continent away. As far as I'm concerned, bombarding Mariupol in this manner is a war crime for which Putin's responsible, both civilly and criminally. Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until all his other offenses are addressed by an appropriate international tribunal.

Regards,

John Kettler

It shows the indiscriminate and brutal nature of the fighting in Ukraine.

War is inherently indiscriminate and brutal. The good and the innocent die and are mutilated just as the evil and guilty are. War is an addiction that the human race would be better off without. But apparently as long as anyone is prepared to do someone dirty for gain, we all have to be.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to know if that artillery was shot by pro-Russians or by Ucranians? The best wasy would be to know in what places was it recorder and to what side it belong at that time.

The videos are sad, I remember not so long ago videos from people in Ucranian arging about Crimea, about Maidan, they didn't look like they were looking for a war, war broke and now this is what they have.

they didn't look like they were looking for a war

Rather this.  I don't think either side expected their neighbor to be quite so belligerent.  

It's pretty tragic in the regards that the primary driver for the fighting does not really care about what happens to eastern Ukraine so long as it is not under the control of Kiev.  Don't think it's going to be worth much to anyone for some time to come.