Axis AAR: The Road to Eindhoven (CMPzC)

For everybody watching Bil do his thing over in his AAR thread, here is the briefing for that mini-battle:

CMPzC the Road to Eindhoven Mini-Battle 2 (AXIS BRIEFING):

18.09.1944, 0610. At the bridge over the Dommel River....Weather: warm, gentle wind from the south. Looks to be a lovely day brewing...

^

Guten Morgen Herr Hauptmann. You have a primary mission and a secondary mission. The *primary mission* is to complete the final preparations for the bridge demolition. Note: The explosives available have already been put in place by a nearby pioneer unit last night but the detonator and firing circuit parts are still enroute. Additionally, you are authorized to destroy the bridge based on your onscene evaluation of any British efforts to take the bridge. *secondary mission* Oberst Kerner wants any heavy weapons recovered from yesterday's battlefield to bolster the Valkenswaard defense. More details below.

^

You are German Luftwaffe Hauptmann Stefan Burke demoted for questioning the orders of your superiors during the earlier campaign in Normandy. A former He-111 bomber pilot, then assigned to a LW Field Division, you now command "StrafKompanie Burke" and here at the bridge you have a small detachment: A leutnant (reichsmarks missing from the Stuka squadron payroll!) with his lightly equipped platoon and 1 additional MG-34 that will stay with you near the bridge. Your trusty Feldwebel Guyver (schnapps is his weakness) is enroute with the detonator and firing circuit. He will arrive in 15 minutes by the telephone pole.

^

Yesterday 17.9.44, our enemy commenced a massive offensive all throughout Holland, not only with a British armoured push north from the border with Belgium but large-scale parachute drops at many locations. The full story is still unclear. But what is known firsthand by you is that yesterday we punched the British in the nose and disrupted their timetable. 9 smoking Sherman hulls testify as they line the road back to the canal. You had a ringside vantage point through powerful artillery observer binoculars. The lead few Shermans had no infantry riders but the follow-on ones did. Pressing slowly forward under a sporadic and slowly creeping artillery barrage, their spacing was parade ground perfect, maybe 50m between vehicles. Some infantry ran alongside the last of the 2 or 3 tanks in a zug. "The Charge of the Light Brigade..." and sadly for them our Paks had a certain point in the road pre-established when they would all fire at once at individually designated targets. It was brilliant! 9 Shermans all hit at once. But the Jabos were quick to swoop in and those guncrews are now in Valhalla or eating "bully beef"!  This morning's schedule...well, we are sure they will come again at any moment. Like clock-work our old friends from El Alamein...!

^

Plan: As soon as Feldwebel Guyver arrives, detail him to rig the bridge explosives and use your authority to trigger the charges when you deem best. The bridge must not fall intact into British hands like an apple from a tree...if they want to cross the Dommel, they'll have to swim across it! Send the leutnant and his men to spread out and QUICKLY scrounge around the numbered designated locations for any intact weapons. Some of our gefallen are still out there. Try to break off half a dog tag and grab their soldbuchs for the stabsfeldwebel. Hit Alt-J to see these “objectives”.

^

Primary Objective: Feldwebel Guyver has a demo charge but does not arrive until 5 minutes remaining on the clock. Send him immediately to his position at the log and standby for your order to blow the bridge. Successfully blowing the bridge is by his breach team demolition blasting through the designated wall section next to the log under the bridge which in this mini-battle simulates demolition of the bridge structure causing some degree of impassability to heavy vehicles. Guyver can then enter a small area with a touch objective by the rock and fuel drum that only the demolition can allow access to. It is also an exit objective so it represents the trusty old feldwebel maybe once more getting his neck out of the noose. If you accomplish this, then all other considerations are secondary including retrieval of weapons and the leutnant and his platoon. Be careful with the action spots under the bridge. The blast order should end under the bridge just on the other side of the wall. Then the quick order from that point to the action spot with the rock and fuel drum.

Secondary Objective: The leutnant and his scavenger hunt companions must spread out and QUICKLY GO OUT into no man's land to check around the numbered objectives. Keep note of what they find in the event it comes in handy! This will require them to buddy-aid the gefallen troops. You have an L-shaped exit route back to Valkenswaard <if you can use it!> after the bridge is blown. The north-east corner has 1 action space width and this should be visible with Alt-J.

This battle is primarily for fun and as a change of pace from the normal set-piece battles of CMPzC Operations. I hope you enjoy it.

FINAL SUPPLEMENTAL BRIEFING...

"HAUPTMANN BURKE LEANED AGAINST THE STONE WALL AS HE HALF LISTENED TO THE LEUTNANT...

THE LEUTNANT'S MEN WERE OUT ABOUT 300 METERS LOOKING THROUGH A FEW PROMISING SPOTS FOR ANYTHING WORTHY AND INTACT.

"MAYBE THEY'LL FIND SOME GOOD FOOD, HUH SLEBNER??" THE PRIVATE SMILED BACK AT YOUR JOKE AND THEN FUSSED WITH HIS MG-34.

YOU COCKED YOUR EAR AS A FAMILIAR BOOM BOOM BOOM RESONATED OVER THE COUNTRY SIDE FROM FAR OFF BUT UNFORTUNATELY NOT FAR ENOUGH OFF.

"INCOMING!!!

LEUTNANT, 2 CHOICES! THEY STAY OUT THERE AND DIG IN OR RUN LIKE THE DEVIL BACK HERE TO DEFEND THE BRIDGE..... MOVE!!!"

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

<THE SCENARIO IS HOLLYWOOD. WE HAVE HAD SOME STUNTMEN DO SOME EFFECTS AND AFTER THEY DEPARTED IT IS SENT AS A SAVED FILE.>

PLEASE HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE THINGS YOU WOULD NEVER GET AT THE START OF A NORMAL SCENARIO. LIKE KIA FRIENDLY TROOPS WITH "GOODIES" FOR YOUR MEN TO BUDDY-AID AND OBTAIN...

If anything goes goofy with this scenario, I take the blame. It is a new concept as far as I know. A "choreographed scenario" I guess you could call it?

Your creativity knows no bounds, Phil.  This stuff is pure gold for an active, multiplayer Op campaign. I've been sweating out how in the hell Burke and his men are going to stop British armor later in the day when the big show starts.

To answer the question in the public PzC campaign thread (or wherever...hard to keep track of all these threads), I would like these small battles to have a direct effect on the following battles.  This scenario provides an excellent example...Bil may end up getting us more AT assets (we have so little), ammo, maybe a few LMGs or an HMG. And suppose Guyver (is that the one whose father has Scottish ancestors...the MacGuyvers???  Sounds like he is.) doesn't blow the bridge; then the Allies can simply roll their armor across the bridge. C'est la Guerre!

Edited by mjkerner

We are eagerly awaiting word on Hauptmann Burke's success at the Dommel River Bridge.

Meanwhile...

HEX%2017%20TACMAP%20AXIS_zpshoac45ei.jpg\\

Your set-up zone is almost the entire area east of the river. You have some buffer between the SUZ and the green lines which are your exit zones in the event of a decision to withdraw.

These positions are just an example and the final positioning is Burke's decision.

Edited by kohlenklau

I am in progress of creating the OOB for Battle Hex (1,7).

We'll follow along together and learn how to do it.

PzC%20to%20CM_zps6wjucg5k.jpg

AXIS%20EDITS%20T1H17_zpssrymblry.jpg

I will go into the CM OOB and set it at this for the purchase.

Experience: typical.

Motivation: Not sure yet. Pretty dismal.

Fitness: as per the above image.

Leadership: Typical and then downgrade the Penal Kp

Supply will be FULL.

Headcount: as per the above math.

Very useful diagram. Looking forward to seeing how the AARs pan out. Bootie (from www.thefewgoodmen.com) and I are currently playing out a PzC-CM campaign using Noob's demo. Having tried do-it-yourself campaigns which require shifting things around on Photoshop I've got to say using PzC is so much quicker.

PS the scenario editor system I PM you about seems to be working <touch wood>. Using the scenario editor we've managed to add disruption, fatigue, edit headcount as a percentage, and move units on the PzC campaign map mid campaign - which is great for updating things post CM battle.

Keep up the good work guys!

Yeah we're playing PBEM with no encryption. The scenario editor does give some of the FOW away, but it can be minimised by turning 'units off' in the settings before loading the PBEM file. If a moderator was conducting all the updates it would make for an ideal way of updating post CM battle as he would have complete control of the units and complete FOW would be maintained for the players.

Edited by Odin

Thanks Phil.

Regarding the plethora of threads for this campaign--and yes, there had better be more similar campaigns forthcoming(!)--you should put the non-AAR specific questions and info in this one.  Like the one you just asked about the motivational level  of Sept 1944 Penal battalions.  It does get confusing following these threads!

Mark,

I have the battle 99% ready to go. Just waiting to see if Bil has any KIA getting off the map....

Mortar rule!

The CMPzC rules say you can only use area fire circle with maximum of a 39 meter diameter for 1 mortar. Got it? No giant circles that fill the entire map! This is just to keep artillery from becoming too out of proportion.

The rule will be to your advantage when you are on the incoming end!

And defenders cannot lay on a preplanned barrage. You have 4 TRP's but you must wait til after the game is started to target them.

Please use your universal password.

Edited by kohlenklau

I think they are all in effect as far as for your immediate battle concerns. Some rules come into play AFTER a battle for hashing out the head counts and such or making the CM OOB to get the battle going.

It is a project worthy of consolidating them together. 

The last few seconds on this past turn of Ian's looks a little close for Leutnant Burke! At the least he'll need some fresh trousers....

Lost%20Eagles%20AXIS_zps5egx3ywi.jpg

CMPzC The Road to Eindhoven Mini-Battle 1 (Axis BRIEFING): 18.9.1944, 0810. About 3 km east of Valkenswaard, Holland. Weather: warm, gentle wind from the south.

^

Your mission is to investigate the report of paratroopers seen descending to the east of Valkenswaard.

^           

You are Hauptmann Dr Von Bletchler and command 3./I./28 Sicherungs Regiment. Here at this moment you are with a young platoon leader and his men…

^

Allied paratroopers! The sky was filled yesterday…a magnificent spectacle. Herr Oberst Kerner was stunned to see the airborne might of our enemy. A look of begrudged envy was on him and a sly smile from ear to ear as he gazed upward. Anyone watching might have suspected that perhaps deep down the oberst wished his family had emigrated to the United States and he would be looking DOWN from the planes instead….

^

Plan:  Use the forces at your disposal to investigate the situation

^

Primary Objectives: Paratroopers are most vulnerable just after landing. Locate them and destroy them as soon as possible. Check the area for any survivors and round them up for interrogation. 

Edited by kohlenklau

Oberst Kerner does indeed look upon the Allied Airborne Armada and its seemingly endless resources with wonder and envy. He remembers Crete, the terrible losses and the stubborn Commonwealth and Greek resistance. He can only hope that his command can emulate their stubbornness and fortitude. Yes, if Herr Dumkopf Hilter (thank goodness the Gestapo can't read ones mind) had only realized the value of proper equipment and preparation, and let the Generals run the war...such a shame the July plot failed! But he shakes those thoughts loose, and is thankful that he has such fine officers in Major Hardenberger, Hauptman. Fizou and Dr. Von Bletchler. Although commanding a scratch force of security troops, Von Bletchler will give the Allies a welcoming they won't soon forget!

I PM'd Miquel but no reply yet and he was very busy recently. It is a small battle so I hope he can take a break to play it.

But if he cannot, then maybe Bil or Carl can stand in? Or you can do double duty Mark? 

...plus maybe Bil has had enough of my odd style? :D

How is that old footlocker? Any new stuff you found? Map of units he commanded and where they were positioned perhaps...

<And I know that in that foot locker down somewhere is ANOTHER album about KG Kerner's exploits in the Ardennes Offensive!>

Edited by kohlenklau

If The good Doctor is unavailable, Carl is welcome, or Bil if he'd like. I won't mind double duty at all, just want to share the fun.

And who told you about the Ardennes? What do you know about it? It is in the very early planning stages...the Allies aren't even anywhere near there projected locations for December yet! Who leaked this? The Wolf's Lair demands answers!

Stand by for a visit from your local friendly Gestapo goons!