why wont crew reload 50 cal?

silent one

Last night I have this recon HUMVE with a 50 cal . It runs out of ammo. Theres 500 rounds on board the hummer so I get the crew to acquire it. But they do nothing. they wont reload the 50 cal. Its external but Im not buttoned up.  Why wont they reload. Its been like 5 turns and they just do nothing.  There isnt a reload button is there?

Unfortunately, by acquiring the ammo, you've prevented the crew from using it in the vehicle weapon. I don't know why they didn't just keep shooting using the vehicle-stored ammo; I believe they should have. It's possible that you spotted the empty weapon just at the point its original box of ammo was expended, and unfortunately pre-empted the crew, or there may be some other reason.

But, in general, acquiring ammo is getting ammo for the use of the element in its personal weapons or weapons that it would be carrying dismounted. Vehicle mounted weapons generally just use the ammo stored on the vehicle without you having to do anything.

Yeah, that's not good.

If the weapon is a remote weapon system (RWS), then it can be fired when buttoned up. The TacAI will NOT auto-reload a RWS. That prevents the TacAI from popping a crewmember up when the player would know that he would die. Instead, every RWS needs to have the player intervene by using the OPEN UP command. Once opened, the crewmember will automatically reload any available ammunition.

Okay...what's available ammunition? That would ammo which is NOT being held by the crew or passengers, but is being carried by the vehicle.

It would make sense that, barring any other ammo availability, that the TacAI would "share" ammo from that possessed by the crew with the weapons operated by the crew.

I'll make that suggestion.

Ken 

I had a Striker with an auto 40mm grenade launcher that ran out of ammo in CMSF. I saw in the maintenance block that the launcher was grey (or should I say gray since it was Army's), and the gunner was reloading it. In CMBS, I had two Bradley's that the maintenance showed the TOWs as gray. One had shot four and the other had shot none. Neither had received any fire. It took a while, but the TOWs were reloaded.

Now for the difficult question. One Bradley had one Tow left, and the other had five. If I park them next to each other, will the one with five share with the one that has one? They in the same platoon.

Now for the difficult question. One Bradley had one Tow left, and the other had five. If I park them next to each other, will the one with five share with the one that has one? They in the same platoon.

Not at this time, AFAIK. BFC were trying to get "cross-decking" working for RT but didn't manage it. Whether they managed to get it into BS (and we'll be due patches to BN/FI/RT to incorporate it) and didn't mention it anywhere I saw, I couldn't say. In the case that they haven't, vehicles don't share between themselves, even if they're in the same platoon.