Wasting precious AP rounds on...

trucks 1.5 km away... tucked inside a protective ring of trees....

This drives me a bit batty. I can't claim the historical knowledge to say whether this is completely insane -- did tankers routinely expend AP against soft-skinned vehicles like trucks?

Maybe this is "just one of the things you have to live with" in playing CMx2. Setting a 360 deg. 'armored arc' seems like it should prevent this, but the AI seems to regard all vehicles, armored or not, as fair game.

Guess I just wish there were some way for the AI to better prioritize targets.  Maybe a "ignore effin' trucks" button is in order  :)

trucks 1.5 km away... tucked inside a protective ring of trees....

This drives me a bit batty. I can't claim the historical knowledge to say whether this is completely insane -- did tankers routinely expend AP against soft-skinned vehicles like trucks?

Maybe this is "just one of the things you have to live with" in playing CMx2. Setting a 360 deg. 'armored arc' seems like it should prevent this, but the AI seems to regard all vehicles, armored or not, as fair game.

Guess I just wish there were some way for the AI to better prioritize targets.  Maybe a "ignore effin' trucks" button is in order  :)

Thing to remember is that both the Russians and the Germans used ap shells, or AP rounds with HE burster charges in them. So using them against even "soft" but still vehicle targets is not counter intuitive. Especially when the germans called the ap shell a tank grenade, but then again they called their solid APCR a tank grenade as well so  :rolleyes:

^ I'm mostly thinking of situations where your tanks spot a new contact mid-turn, so that you don't have the option yet to use Target Light, and are forced to watch helpless while they merrily blast away at trucks and infantry stragglers with reckless abandon (WEGO, of course). Was playing the 3rd or 4th mission of the Blunting the Spear campaign, where you get to control a couple coy's of Panthers. And boy, fire discipline (or anything resembling it) is not the order of the day for these guys.

I know, limitations of AI, and a small complaint in an otherwise superb game -- but man do I wish the AI could be a little smarter about target prioritization and fire discipline...

Or situations where you want them to fire freely at tanks, concentrations of infantry or infantry support units that they spot, or even at individual troopers (usually fleeing) that pass across their sights, if only they'd use a proportionate weapon. Or where you simply don't want an ugly purple splodge covering the whole of the map... :)