Problems with spotting

However, regarding the example above: in the dark and the rain, I do not think there is a bug there. I think it would be quite possible to stumble upon the opposition without much warning under those conditions. Other than the game limitation that soldiers don't get hurt when tanks run over them it seemed quite possible to me.

I agree.  First thing I thought of. 

Edited by Blazing 88's

Have to agree with those not seeing a problem - it's dark - no streetlights or other lighting apart from moon or stars if there's no cloud cover.

The MG can shoot to a theoretical maximum range for "night" setting, but spotting in the dark is difficult - even at 2m. Hell even seeing your hand in front of your face can be hard if it's really dark.

Your men did have a sound contact. I'd say it all seems fairly reasonable.

The bit that's niggling for me is that those guys doing Buddy Aid seem entirely unconcerned that there's a tank that just shot their buddies whom they are aiding just 10 feet away. They have seen the tank, and lost sight of it because they hit the deck while suppressed in fairly long vegetation. Knowing it's there, and still being able to hear it, they should have been able, IMO (and I've done a smidge of sneaking around in the dark, FWIW), to make it out against the background (I know CM doesn't explictly model silhouette; I'm relating it to how you spot things from a low perspective in the dark, which the spotting model has to handle more abstractly) once they became active again, and not simply blithely start applying bandages to their downed mates...

The bit that's niggling for me is that those guys doing Buddy Aid seem entirely unconcerned that there's a tank that just shot their buddies whom they are aiding just 10 feet away. They have seen the tank, and lost sight of it because they hit the deck while suppressed in fairly long vegetation. Knowing it's there, and still being able to hear it, they should have been able, IMO (and I've done a smidge of sneaking around in the dark, FWIW), to make it out against the background (I know CM doesn't explictly model silhouette; I'm relating it to how you spot things from a low perspective in the dark, which the spotting model has to handle more abstractly) once they became active again, and not simply blithely start applying bandages to their downed mates...

while testing Studienka I had a couple guys run into a Russian tank crewman who went into surrender mode right after shooting one of mine.  Of course my guy being the civilized bloke he WAS, proceeded to buddy aid his comrade.  The Russian recovered his morale somehow and proceeded to shoot him..  I have asked charges be leveled according to the Geneva convention but so far no reply.