Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Troops doing things their commander (me) has not told them to do

dragonwynn

Ok maybe some of you scenario design experts can give me some insight here. Been having trouble with units I want to stay stationary moving after a couple of turns. Example would be heavy machine gunners moving from their setup points and advancing with the assault squads. I've tried designating them as separate units, and even deleting them and repurchased as separate formations and they still get up and move. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ok maybe some of you scenario design experts can give me some insight here. Been having trouble with units I want to stay stationary moving after a couple of turns. Example would be heavy machine gunners moving from their setup points and advancing with the assault squads. I've tried designating them as separate units, and even deleting them and repurchased as separate formations and they still get up and move. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Need more info to help. When you designate these bad boys as separate units:

1) what objectives do you assign to them?

2) what orders do you give them with regard to such objectives?

Sorry that the answer is more work for you! Good luck with this and keep us posted.

Purchase order and reporting formations do *not* control assignment to AI groups. Everyone defaults to being part of group one (A1). So if you have not assigned the MG team to a specific group that could explain this - we would need more info to determine exactly.

With a lack of other info I would suggest re-reading the section on groups (pp.95 in CM Engine Manual v3.00.pdf).

Another possibility is that the MG group's orders are too similar to the assault group. Moving out earlier than expected is common when you get confused about order timing - I know I do that constantly. Thank goodness for Scenario Author mode.

Thanks guys for responding. I have tried setting them as seperate unit groups (example: main assault units U1, machine gun units U2 with orders to ambush at x distance only. Also tried not issuing them any orders and just setting them as hide units in setup mode of the AI. The little buggers still start moving after about 4 turns. My anti tank guns are doing the same thing, starting with the ammo bearers first then the silly crews start pushing their Pak 40's by hand. They make me tired just watching them lol. Thought repurchasing them as a seperate formation might prevent this but nooooo they just have to be busy moving. I also tried adjusting the time before and after settings and even not setting any time for them but no luck.

F1- F8 sets the group for a unit, with 16 groups available.

In otherwords hit F8 once and it's group 8, hit it twice and it's group 16.

All units default to group 1, which does not show an indicator, but any other group will show as A2 to A16

These groups must then be given orders in the AI editor.

HTH

P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dragon,

Some guys have spreadsheets to keep track of the AI groups and orders.

I reach out and grab some scratch paper. Write in pencil and have an eraser handy for fixing mistakes!

AIgroups_zpse6c60aec.jpg

You only get 16 groups. Well, it used to be only 8 so we are getting better. And now we have triggers.

It is fun to get the AI to do what you want. It takes study and testing. I have written attack AI plans and defense AI plans.

I am not sure what is easier. I guess I would leave it to the player to judge the quality of the AI response as orchestrated by me. It could turn out ugly.

Sometimes it turns out almost insanely smooth. But if you test your battle and see something odd, then you can almost bet it is YOUR error. You left in a yellow block. You made an error on the times 01:30 - 02:00!

They left late! You picked the wrong trigger. Etc Etc. 

Please have fun. :D

Edited by kohlenklau