T34/85 performance

Rokko

In staying on Topic.. The T-34 is vastly superior to the Sherman, its very fast if moving out and you can quickly lose site of them, if they are being used tactically, and sneaky. The main difference I have seen between the Normandy and Russian front so far is.

1, Allied tanks have to be played very well. Sherman's and T-34's are well suited for medium range engagements.. of up to 1000m but after that, even the PzIV can still kill them pretty effectively of ranges around 1500m. The only saving grace for the allies was the Bocage, but the Btits, around the Caen area.. forget about it..

Russian T-34 as far as I have seen and played can survive some good hits from the front except from Panthers. Again the Pz. IV can still penetrate the front of the T-34 but as far as I have seen, or experienced these have been within 1000m. Most of my hits on T-34 at ranges of over 1000m have been side Turret, Hull penetrations with others from around 850m penetrating the front.

2. Russian T-34/85 can kick your ass in a heart beat.. Although again the Germans will find comfort at engagements of 1000-1200m or more having an effective penetration value.

All of this I am sure you already know, and I am sure someone has already created a table. This blurb has just been from my experience with campaigns and few head to head missions, and some test missions I have created.

The T-34/85 is a very effective tank and in numbers are very lethal, however if your opponent is clever, or you have on par tank numbers, the Germans will have the advantage.. however there are always variables...

In my Opinion the Panther is probably still the best tank of WWII, but that's my opinion so don't hate me.. LOL.

The Allies in Normandy have some other very nice effective pieces.... Achilles, Hellcat, and of course the Dragonfly's. The Russian SU-122 is also a very lethal weapon and will tear you a new one.. at ranges equal to pretty much any game range your involved in.. Even tested a long range battle, open plain.. high grass with few defilades.. hard to see them.. and they can wreak havoc at 1800m and one even killed a Panther side hull at 2100m. lower side hull, but hey the Panther was even moving. Anyways love Battlefront, and there are so many versed and knowledgeable people within this community, its pretty cool.

Semper Fi, and happy Holidays.

This is pretty much what I'm finding. Though crew skill, and tactics to get the side shots and a little luck play a role. I've found that close up T34/85 are easily equal to my panthers. And some of them take a many penetrations before succumbing.

SU-122. Grrhh, having to use tactics to take on these beasts.

@Vincere true the SU-122 and even the slow firing SU-152 are beasts.. especially if you have them at your front and you can not flank one.. big trouble, its where infantry can be very important if you can sneak a PF team, or PS team up close.

I wish I still had the picture of this T-34/85, it took about 8 hits from the front, and at least 3 side turret hits from a Panther, the range was about 1700m-1500m The Panther had taken 3 hits all glancing blows off the turret.. The T-34 however had 4 that penetrated... anyways time ran out and they escaped.. lol damn lucky.

But yeah your right, it also has a lot to do with other factors, crew skill, and they way they are used, are they buttoned or not, or suppressed in any other way.

cheers.

@Vincere true the SU-122 and even the slow firing SU-152 are beasts.. especially if you have them at your front and you can not flank one.. big trouble, its where infantry can be very important if you can sneak a PF team, or PS team up close.

I wish I still had the picture of this T-34/85, it took about 8 hits from the front, and at least 3 side turret hits from a Panther, the range was about 1700m-1500m The Panther had taken 3 hits all glancing blows off the turret.. The T-34 however had 4 that penetrated... anyways time ran out and they escaped.. lol damn lucky.

But yeah your right, it also has a lot to do with other factors, crew skill, and they way they are used, are they buttoned or not, or suppressed in any other way.

cheers.

SU-152's were doing better than my panthers at a long range duel (front to front). Will have to check exact range but around 2000m. So I've been trying close ambushes.

Can a PS team take 152s out on front armour?

I have two green Panther crews in my current battle; both miss wildly and bailed early.

One veteran crew vs T34/85 is awesome at 1500m.

Regular crews are doing ok. I lost 4 one turn trying to close ambush T34/85s. So from here on I'm trying to keep some distance.

SU-152's were doing better than my panthers at a long range duel (front to front). Will have to check exact range but around 2000m. So I've been trying close ambushes.

Can a PS team take 152s out on front armour?

I have two green Panther crews in my current battle; both miss wildly and bailed early.

One veteran crew vs T34/85 is awesome at 1500m.

Regular crews are doing ok. I lost 4 one turn trying to close ambush T34/85s. So from here on I'm trying to keep some distance.

The panzerschreck should have no problems with any Russian armor.

Just finished The Passage. My Boyz took out all 15 T34's while losing 6 PzIV's.

It's a good idea to read the Briefing and Designer notes. They're there for a reason. You'll find everything you need to know, including the key to winning with German panzers: using distance and elevation* to your advantage.

*Despite being a most likeable troll at the best of times, I have always been known to take "The High Road".

This is my third or fourth attempt at this scenario, and - again - I've already lost two PzIVs, one in a perfect hull down position, from 1800m without ever knowing what hit them.

So either I am a terrible tactician or just completely devoid of any warrior luck.

Interesting approach, I think I have done something like that before, using infantry as "spotters". Don't know how historical that approach is to be honest.

But I'm playing against the AI that doesn't know about such tricks. Why can it's goddamn T34s just sit in the open and spot turrets in 2000m distance and hit them in 2-3 shots just fine, while my own seem to be unable to (consistently) do so?