Infantry unit moving much faster than others?

Hi,

While doing some testing for other reasons, I inadvertently discovered something peculiar about infantry movement speeds.

(I am running v3.1)

I deployed ten (identical as far as the Scenario Editor goes) 2-man German tank hunter teams in a test where they simply line up at one end of a map and move across it.

The odd thing is that one of the teams always move significantly faster than the other nine teams.

The nine other squads typically travel about 135-140m/60sec MOVING FAST across flat pavement.

This one squad however travels 175-180m/60sec.

That makes that one unit approximately 25-33% faster than the rest.

They are all listed as:

Exp: Regular

Motivation: Normal

Fitness: Fit

Further making this odd, I edited the scenario to change the fast team to:

Exp: Conscript

Motivation: Poor

Fitness: Unfit

and the unit still is just as fast, but fatigues much sooner.

This screenshot shows just how far ahead of his colleagues this unit is able to get after just 3 turns:

25s9csy.png

I do not believe that this large discrepancy is intentional. Makes me wonder if other unit characteristics also vary by so much.

Is this some kind of bug?

Here is both a saved file to run and see for yourself and the scenario file:

Scenario file

Saved file

Bull

This doesn't show when I download it. What version of the game are you running? (I don't have the Vehicle Pack yet.)

Just to ask the obvious: is the faster team perhaps not carrying panzerfausts like the others?

All units are carrying 2 panzerfausts.

Edited post to state v3.1.

What version are you running?

The "faster" unit isn't actually running faster, it's just running in a straight line while all the others zigzag. As soon as the turn starts the "slow" units are sucked over next to a wall by the cover magnetism TacAI mechanism. While running next to a wall they zigzag. Don't know why, they just do. The "faster" unit doesn't get sucked over to a wall for some reason so it runs straight.

The "faster" unit isn't actually running faster, it's just running in a straight line while all the others zigzag. As soon as the turn starts the "slow" units are sucked over next to a wall by the cover magnetism TacAI mechanism. While running next to a wall they zigzag. Don't know why, they just do. The "faster" unit doesn't get sucked over to a wall for some reason so it runs straight.

I see. I just tested this by deleting some of the walls and this does seem to be the case. It is still very strange it ends up like that.

What is even more odd is that the TacAI only seems to care about walls/cover that is to the LEFT of the unit. :confused:

If a unit is running along and there is wall nearby to it's left, the TacAI will make the unit "gravitate" towards the wall effectively slowing it's speed down by 25-33%.

However if the same unit is running along and the wall is on it's RIGHT, the TacAI will completely disregard the wall and not "gravitate" towards the wall and keep running straight, effectively 25-33% faster what it would be travelling at had the wall be on it's left.

It seems that even a wall 70m to the left of a unit and parallel to the direction of travel of a unit has enough "gravitation" to pull the unit 70m side ways so that it continues to move up alongside it at the slower speed.

Here is a screenshot of my test with units given orders to run up the map with some walls removed. Notice the bunching of units to the right of the walls (note: that group of three units just to the left of the 1760 landmark text are all actually to the RIGHT of the wall closest to them), and the two left most units ignoring the wall to their right and hence moving at a faster speed.

awojz9.png

Take home message: If you want your infantry to move at maximum speed, try avoiding having to move along a path that has walls to their left. :(

They do "stick" to hedgerows on their right though, as far as I've seen. Which often gets them killed because they run along the raised base of the hedge and can also be shot at from the other side when they get close to it. Can be avoided by plotting a series of waypoints through the field, at the expense of speed.