Mortar Gripe

Playing Blucher's excellent Devils Descent campaign when I ran in to two mortar issues that I want to share. The first one I believe to be a common problem experienced by all of us over time that has been worked on but never fixed. I had a hidden mortar team with excellent LOS on a couple of german squads that were closely grouped together. I gave them a target order hoping my crack squad could take them out pretty quickly. Unfortunately one of the crew decides to take a couple of pot shots that only served to give away our position. The squads quickly gunned the mortar team down before they could get off their second shot.

The second one is probably an edge case that will never be fixed but here goes. I ended one scenario holding the town but with 1-2 casualties to each of my mortar squads who I had on suicide medic patrol after they had expended all of their rounds. I started the next scenario with all of my mortar squads resupplied with ammo thanks to a downed glider but no mortars. I guess the guys that were killed in the previous scenario had the mortars and nobody thought to pick them up when moving out to the next position. I know campaigns are not BFs thing but can they please have guys grab the best kit between scenarios.

Regarding the first - what was the range ?

This issue has been addressed in one of the patches/upgrades by BFC, crews are much less likely now ( since 2.x I think ) to bang away with their rifles, but if the range was short, they might be tempted.

Unless it's come back as a bug - always possible, but more info needed ;)

I just tested this on my 2.12 install and German 81mm mortar teams given Target orders on US 76mm AT guns shot their rifles out to 400 meters (the longest distance I tested at). Mortar teams not given any orders and allowed to fire on their own used rifles out to 300 meters.

I use hide and thin fire arc commands where no one is located to prevent mortar teams from firing when I do not want them to.

A short circular arc will mostly achieve the same thing without, generally, needing to worry whether the team will change its facing, or an enemy might move into it (and if the arc is very short, you might well want the mortar team to fire in self-defense...)