Triggered videos/pics?

Hellas

I don't know how many people trying the demo are frustrated and give up, but I guess it's one or two.

And how much customers give up, because the difficulty level seems too hard and they don't know, where to start?

How about triggered popup videos and/or pics giving tactical advice?

And wouldn't it be cool, i.e. for newly introduced units, if after a few minutes into the scenario they would be portrayed in a video?

To be a little more specific, we like the game because within the scope of what the game can do we have to apply tactics. It is a historian's game as opposed to say a gamer's game if you get my gist.

As such learning it is about both learning real world tactics and knowing some history while at the same time mastering game mechanics. The idea of providing additional teaching tools is a good one however keeping them up to date as the game develops is likely problematic. It is enough work for BF to keep the manual up to date, an item they have struggled with.

What might be nice is if they kept a sticky on game tactics with links to various articles and video clips with the caveat that some may be out of date in terms of actual game mechanics.

Many customers like this game especially because it is hard.

Yup.

Learn it and you are rewarded.

I am afraid that many people giving the game a try judge from the experience in the first minutes.

Popup videos would be a first class annoyance IMHO.

For a newbie, really? I believe that people do not like to read manuals, but like to be interactively introduced into software.

Especially complex and out of the norm SW usually profits from removing the first shock and help to achieve first positive results easily.

I started playing A little over two years ago I started with the CM battle for Normandy demo.. And i said F*** this its hard and i dont know what to do then out of curiosity i downloaded the FI demo. The same thing happened. I really loved the detail and the realism of the game So i watched the Armchair General combat mission videos. Then i played the demos until i beat all the missions they game with.. Now i own all combat mission games except CMBO and CMA

Its all relative. When it comes to Combat Mission head to head against another human I win some games, lose some games.

When I played Company of Heroes online they said I sucked. Wargame online was the same thing.

That's a point. Some games suit your playing style and you seem to slip right into them the way that you put on a pair of well-broken-in shoes. Other games will never be comfortable no matter how interesting they might otherwise be. Still other games may feel alien at first, but then comes that aha moment when it all falls into place and you never feel out of place again.

I think for a lot of players CMx2 falls into that last category. The initial learning curve is dauntingly steep. Perhaps if unlimited development time had been available, detailed and comprehensive tutorials could have been created that would have eased new players into the system. But alas, that might have added another year to the release of the first product and any other that featured any significant upgrades to the game system.

Michael