Something needs to get fixed.

I'm playing Whitmans demise and I discovered something that needs to get looked at.

My opponents Tiger sticks his barrel through one of the small openings in the tall wall. My Sherman hiding behind it fires 2 shots that go sailing over the Tiger-thats ok, but then the Tiger rotates his turret depresses his gun and kills my Sherman-the problem here is the wall was higher than his gun and the opening is too small for a tank to move through.

Basically the Tigers barrel magically rotates through walls...

Noticed the same effect with AT guns deployed by the AI too close to a building. They track their targets through the building with their "Wonder Weapon" Quantum Phase Shift AT Gun that allows the barrel to "phase" through wall atoms and lets them see through solid objects using the same technology! Them Germans, crafty little bastards!

I can understand why things are they way they are, on the other hand it makes for strange behavior. I've witnessed even more strange results that involved walls and it kinda ruins a well designed scenario.

Instead of focusing on tactics I'm now asking myself how can I circumvent the game behavior so it doesn't screw me.

Guys, it is more likely another case of 'what you see is an approximation of what is happening in the game code'... Tanks can clip buildings, infantry jump empty air then run through the wall...

Not an AI cheat I suspect - AI doesn't get special code on the whole. we all use the same TacAI

This is a h2h game.

The first part of Sailor's comment is still valid IMO. The visual representation of objects in the 3d space of the game doesn't always match precisely what the game is simulating.

That said player decisions are based on the visual representation of the environment. When the two don't meet expectations it can be very annoying.

-F

IRL what a tank crew would do in a situation like this is back away from the break in the wall, and then move up again from a different angle so that the gunsight and muzzle have LOS/LOF to the desired target area.

But the Unit AI in CM doesn't know how to do this, and unfortunately it would probably be extremely difficult to program the AI to execute this kind of maneuver correctly.

So we have the abstraction that the gun barrel and rotate through the wall. If we didn't, the Tiger crew would just sit there dumbly letting itself get shot at until the player intervened, which might be quite a while if the event happens at the beginning of a 1-minute turn. And in the case of a computer player unit, the positioning might never be corrected.

What we have now is not ideal, but one the whole I think it's better than the alternative.