Linear barrage as rolling barrage

Desertor

I have observed that the rounds in a linear barrage fall from one side to another, that made me think that it could be useful in some way.

Example:

If the starting point of the linear fire mission is the one where the rounds start falling and the end point is inside the enemy lines, my forces could follow the line like as in a rolling barrage.

Somebody had tried this before?

Your timing would need to be precise, and control of the unit waypoints would also need minute control.

The time delay and random variables that play a role in artillery missions would make following a linear barrage quite dicey IMO.

I have never done it, but you might want to try a few tests out first to see if it is viable. Or just wait a few minutes for one of the real game mechanics experts to pop in and add his knowledge.

^^^

What he said.

Rolling barrages were really just box barrages which lifted. For example, a box 300 yards by 2,000 yards would get pummeled for 15 minutes. Then the guns would lift to the next 300 yards (by 2,000 yards). The "creep" would get averaged. In this case 300 yards every 15 minutes would be 100yards/5min or 20 yards a minute.

If the infantry really tried to keep that steady pace, they'd get shelled as they entered the impact zone. It was really "run fast and then duck for 15 minutes, then get up and run fast for 300 yards (or as close as you dared), then duck for 15 minutes."

You can approximate a rolling barrage by having a linear barrage of long duration (Maximum, half the tubes firing, Light or Harrass) that you continuously adjust. TRPs help if you're not going to be able to get FO eyes on the ground where you want later phases to fall, and mean the directing observer doesn't have to stick his neck out anywhere (and therefore get geeked, meaning the barrage is stuck firing at the same line til it runs out).

Yes, Ken prefers to stand behind his men—well behind—and wave vaguely with his piston in the direction of the enemy while shouting that the greatest thing that can happen to a man is to die valiantly for his king and country. His troops may entertain a certain skepticism.

Michael

It is said that waving his piston in the vague direction of his men is often all the motivation they need to charge into near death! ;)

Rolling barrages didn't happen on the fly, they were meticulously preplanned events. You could just 'call in' a walking barrage. I suppose the closest in-game approximation would be a series of first turn linear barrages. One set at the start for 'short', the next set farther back at 5 minutes and the next set beyond that at 10 minutes. This is all theoretical on my part, I haven't attempted it. The v3.0 restriction on one FO calling in multiple missing at the same time is an impediment to doing it mid-game, I would imagine

You're not suggesting that Emrys committed a grammatical faux pas are you?

Had nothing to do with grammar, as you would know if you had ever made it past the fourth grade. It was a typo, same as MikeyD typing 'missing' instead of 'missions'. Unless he meant to type 'missing', in which case he is in worse shape than I imagined.

Michael

I, for one, would never have never suggested that Mr. Emrys made, or could ever make, a grammatical mistake. But, having put my hands on my monitor (ahem, the one attached to my computer, not my groin) and cried from my heart "I believe", I am still no closer to being one of the "elect"...I'm beginning to doubt my faith in his all-knowingness.

Well, besides any piston motion, the linear barrage is less accurate than I thought...

Some of my troops told me after I sent them to follow the line, they got some ordnance falling on top of them.

I will try with multiple linear pre-planed barrages following each other with a 5 minute interval.

What is missing are flares: indicating to the FO the preplanned relocation of an ongoing barrage.

This could make some interesting scenarios where a relatively weak attacker could attack a strong defender with lots of reinforcements where the intended MLR breach can be shielded by a flared relocation of the barrage into the opponent's back.

Thanks to the preplanned character it's not necessary that the FO has LOS to the relocated area. Helpful to isolate and seal off reverse slope positions.

Had nothing to do with grammar, as you would know if you had ever made it past the fourth grade. It was a typo, same as MikeyD typing 'missing' instead of 'missions'. Unless he meant to type 'missing', in which case he is in worse shape than I imagined.

Michael

Sure, TYPO... the common excuse of the illiterate.

Rolling barrages didn't happen on the fly, they were meticulously preplanned events. You could just 'call in' a walking barrage. I suppose the closest in-game approximation would be a series of first turn linear barrages. One set at the start for 'short', the next set farther back at 5 minutes and the next set beyond that at 10 minutes. This is all theoretical on my part, I haven't attempted it. The v3.0 restriction on one FO calling in multiple missing at the same time is an impediment to doing it mid-game, I would imagine

This is not entirely true. By 1918 the British had developed a "standardized" version of the creeping barrage that could be used on the fly (relatively speaking). This was used heavily during the 100 days battles as the tempo of operations increased. It was not as effective as the more detailed planed barrages, but could be called in when there was not time for lots of planning. Certainly they were not meticulously planned.

I always felt it was missing from the Commonwealth forces in CMBN, as we have battalion sized battles and rolling barrages on that scale were used quite frequently. Case in point the Shadow of the Hill battles, mission one you have to take a farm complex where your outgunned British infantry really tend to do badly against the SS guys Dug in there unless you bring up the churchills close. Historically the Farm House was overrun rather quickly as the Wessex men came in right behind a massive creeping barrage on a 3500 yard front!

I really do wish there was a creeping barrage feature. It should be planned by the guy who makes the mission and be uncontrollable to the player. However the current means in game can not simulate it even reasonable correctly. Even trying to make it a "before mission starts" by making some units suppressed at the start doesn't work as the barrages would go for several hundred/thousand of yards deep and those units farther in the map will regain their composure by the time you make it there as nothing is suppressing them.

By 1918 the British had developed a "standardized" version of the creeping barrage that could be used on the fly (relatively speaking).

Well, that 'relatively' hides a lot of sins. We're still talking several hours (6-12), which is much better than several days, but still well outside CM's timescale.

Certainly they were not meticulously planned.

As with all good templates and SOPs, they actually were meticulously planned, it's just that most of the non-context-specific planning occurred in a quiet time, outside the OODA loop.

I always felt it was missing from the Commonwealth forces in CMBN, as we have battalion sized battles and rolling barrages on that scale were used quite frequently. ... I really do wish there was a creeping barrage feature.

FWIW, I agree.

It should be planned by the guy who makes the mission and be uncontrollable to the player.

I don't really agree with that though. I think it should be a tactical option, available to the player only during the setup phase, if they chose to use it.