A game idea for JasonC--"Combat" Modest Proposal

JasonC, in this thread over on CMRT was holding forth that he wanted smaller scenarios, not bigger ones. Here goes. Micro tactical. "In the Force section, gin up and tweak characteristics as needed, for an American squad built to reflect the one in "Combat." People could submit various tiny scenarios in which the squad would carry on the never-ending fight for Normandy. Somehow, the squad members have to survive--and carry out their diverse missions, aid the Maquis, sniff out traitors, take out 251 stand-ins, snipe the snipers, take the town, bust the tanks and find and eliminate the German FO behind their lines.

Now, that would be pretty daunting in and of itself (worse, since Little John wouldn't have AP in his BAR to sieve the putative 251), but what really makes this tough is that the pertinent Wiki has concluded the brave squad spends no less than two years in Normandy, evidently having missed the COBRA/St. Lo Breakout message!

Obviously I'm being more than a bit facetious here, but I think there may actually be a usable idea in there, too. I see no reason why such tiny scenarios couldn't be built and reflect at least some of the ambience of the show.

Regards,

John Kettler

Nah...It wont work in CM, because the average Platoon might be lucky to last a 30 minute Battle, this compared to RL where the Platoon should last through a Campaign.

Yeah, I guess you could make scenarios akin to the "COMBAT" series where you would have new Squad members weekly...Err, rather new Squads daily, since this is CM were talking about.

Joe

FWIW, I built a couple of really tiny scenarios at one point. In testing they proved to be a little tricky to play if you employ typical CM approaches; the small size of the force means that every single casualty matters a lot, and as such casualty avoidance becomes paramount. What I found this required was extending the times far longer than you might think necessary such that players could take the time required to wait for sound contacts or plot circuitous routes. Best for patient, methodical players - those who rush forward will likely be frustrated quickly. Personally, I enjoy them, but they do require a different approach.