Command variants of German halftracks

Hi all,

I wanted to check whether their functionality is modelled in the game and how to use them properly. I'm talking about 250/3 and 250/3 versions. They should have extra long range radios.

Their inherent crew is minimal (one or two guys counting driver in). Do they need a HQ team in order to make communication better? Would the expected effect be that radio-equipped units (tank, other HQs) will have better information on enemy force sightings by that HT? Does it make any effect on other units behavior?

Thanks,

Ondrej

Their radio isn't for communicating with companies and platoons on the ground. It's for communicating with off-map headquarters, so it has no relevance in the conduct of a CM battle. These vehicles exist in the game for the sake of OOB accuracy and flavor.

I have only a vague "gut feel" sense of the C3 in CMx2 - but isn't parking one of these radio halftracks next to a command unit without a radio good practice?

Won't they help with calling artillery, communicate spots, etc?

No more so than any radio-equipped unit would, AIUI.

No more so than any radio-equipped unit would, AIUI.

Right. Perhaps not all players know that HQ's without a radio can make use of a vehicle radio when it is nearby. This is true for jeeps and other troop-carrying vehicles, at least--I don't think an infantry HQ can use a tank's radio, for instance.

The communications net is one of the hardest things to learn in CM. It can be worthwhile to drop an infantry battalion in a "sandbox" scenario and see what's involved in making sure the various HQ's can actually communicate with the top, with the mortars, etc.

It's easy with the Americans since they have radios all over the place. Germans require more careful consideration, and Russians most of all.

Right. Perhaps not all players know that HQ's without a radio can make use of a vehicle radio when it is nearby. This is true for jeeps and other troop-carrying vehicles, at least--I don't think an infantry HQ can use a tank's radio, for instance.

That is not correct. Vehicles with radios parked next to indirect fire units (mortars, infantry guns) allow them to be in-contact with an observer. They have no affect on C2. AFAIK, this was added specifically so that SP mortar units could be used more flexibly since they currently cannot fire from within their radio-equipped HTs.

Remember the awful little M707 Humvee in CMSF? Sometimes these vehicles are included less for what they can do than for what they can't. Substituting command and pioneer HTs with full-up infantry carrier would be giving more capability than they warrant. What a command HT mostly does is NOT seat eleven.