Wind indicator

One thing would still puzzle me: is the wind blowing from E or to E? Maybe you could add a little arrow on the blue line (middle, not end) which points toward the centre so that it is clear that its from E (if that is what was meant here :) )

That's why I prefer the first design. It not only looks good, it is an immediately clear and unambiguous indicator of which way the wind is blowing. I look at it and I don't even have to think about what I am looking at. But if someone finds that controversial, perhaps it could be a modable feature and players could choose between alternative designs.

Michael

it is an immediately clear and unambiguous indicator of which way the wind is blowing.

Is it? I mean, does this mean the wind is blowing towards the east, or does it mean it is an easterly wind like a weathervane? I guess the former would be a good fit with the backwards 'compass' :)

To be honest, I think one of the few or even only reason I look at the compass is to figure out which way the wind is blowing so would be happy with just a wind indicator and ditch the compass.

That looks very nice.

One thing would still puzzle me: is the wind blowing from E or to E? Maybe you could add a little arrow on the blue line (middle, not end) which points toward the centre so that it is clear that its from E (if that is what was meant here :) )

Thanks, poesel71.

Guys, I'm assuming the wind direction shown by the indicator hand is TO and not from, and that this would be stated clearly in the manual. So that's a Strong wind blowing (your smoke) to the East.

14033804388_d346205905_o.jpg

I've always felt the "from" thing to be very counter-intuitive. Since this is TO, I don't think any other graphical additions are really necessary. FROM would definitely need something extra--perhaps a hand that crosses the full length of the compass face, with small arrows all along it to show from and to. But I really think that's clutter best avoided by making it TO.

Of course, I'm just a guy on the forum suggesting an idea. I'm not working on anything for Battlefront.

A little off topic. What effect, if any, does wind have on ballistics or bombardments? Apart from laying smoke, of course.

Wind strength has a huge effect on low velocity weapon accuracy, most noticeable on rocket launchers. Pro tip: under heavy wind conditions you can pretty much ignore Panzerschrecks at long to medium ranges.

When you're talking of the Planet of the Apes do mean the movie or the planet? Never mind, scratch that.

Wind strength has a huge effect on low velocity weapon accuracy, most noticeable on rocket launchers. Pro tip: under heavy wind conditions you can pretty much ignore Panzerschrecks at long to medium ranges.

Sounds plausible. This is Real Life or Combatmissionland?