My very last mod is coming...

I'm gearing up to release the last soundmod I'll make for CM for a very long time.

If new weapons come out for the game, I might make a patch, but I won't be investing any more time in modding.

It will come in two main versions:

Version 1 (unnamed so far) will include the sounds from my previous mod with just a few changes.

Version 2 (also unnamed) will have a completely new soundset for the small arms in the game. Much less "noisy" than my regular mod, but still louder than the originals.

They will also be shorter in length and fully utilize the built-in function of shot trails.

Hopefully this will mean that they put much less strain on the system for those with less powerful computers.

I will release them in a few different forms.

Version 1 will only be released in an all-encompassing form that works for both CMBN, CMAF, CMMG, CMFI, CMGL and CMRT.

Version 2 will come in four forms. 1 for CMBN/CMFI and expansions, 1 for CMRT and then 2 containing only the small arms sounds (1 for CMBN/CMFI and 1 for CMRT) for those with lower-end systems.

They will all be MAC compatible.

The mods include some sounds graciously leant by Waclaw, Cptn. Mike and CMJD. It also seems some of my source sounds are from the same sources as JorgeMC so I will credit him despite not using his soundmod directly :D

I'll be uploading the mods soon™ and they will be accompanied by Showcase videos for all three fronts.

Thanks for the hard work! I look forward to this culminating version of your sound mod.

Thanks man, I appreciate it :D

I have actually made the video presentations aroun 3 times now, but I've always found some tiny detail I want to change or some sound I didn't like when playing with the other sounds at the same time... :/

So the final versions will be up soon-ish™ and then I'll be taking a vacation from modding (not that I need one... I think there are only a few modders here that really need vacations hehe)

Looking forward to it too - still having trouble finding small arms sounds that my computer can handle, so fingers crossed this one might work. Your videos are a great idea too - thanks a lot for all your hard work.

I'm still working on them, but I'm trying to keep all the small arms sounds to lengths of around 1 second or less.

I believe this is the strain on the system that most experience with "heavy" soundmods.

In those mods (and my old one) the sounds often stretch out for several seconds with echos (or not even echos, but mainly silence) meaning that if you fire an MG42 for example, the game has to process and play 5-15 sounds that are all several seconds long. Having shorter sounds should help the system.

And using the shot trail sounds included in the game gives the weapons their echoes anyway, but it is only applied to the last shot of a burst.

(the trail sounds are played on regular mods too of course, but you usually don't hear them because of the built-in echo of the sounds)

EDIT: the bolt-action rifles will have longer sounds tho (usually 2-3 seconds) since they have bolt action sounds added at the 1.10 mark. This time the sound of the bolt action is VERY subdued tho, so you shouldn't hear it unless you are right next to the troops. Which I feel is right.

Also, since BFC decided to have the Mosin-Nagant rifle use the same sound as the SVT-40, I have made two sounds for them and they play randomly. One with the bolt action and one without. This means you will occationally get a bolt action sound from the SVT-40 and occationally no bolt action sound from the Mosin-Nagant.

There are, of course, alternative no-bolt sound files if you don't like the bolt action sounds.

The two different CMBN/CMFI and CMRT versions differ in two soundfiles. The gun 75.wav and the gun 14 kpvt.wav sound files are different. This is because I feel that the russian 76mm guns should sound different from the sherman 75mm (but they share the same soundfile) and because the 14kpvt file is used by the PTRD but also the MG151, and to really get the "umpfh" that I wanted from the PTRD I added some stuff to the sound, but I don't like how it sounds in the MG151, so for now they are different in the two versions.

The sound for the PPSh41 (and the PPS43) has two shots in the sound (at the PPSh41 rof). This is because on some machines, when under heavy stress, the game tends to skip a sound every other shot or so. It happens with the MG42 too, but it isn't noticable.

If you have a really good machine that never gets bogged down (ie. have an FPS of over 30 no matter what) you don't need this and I have included the single shot sound as well.

Thanks, Oddball_E8.

-Will check out your mod as soon as I can. Sound mods seem to be a thing that, as a player, you often want to cherry pick from different mods to get a full "set" that you like. Since that takes some work, I haven't tackled it yet.

Thanks again for all your work!

Thanks, Oddball_E8.

-Will check out your mod as soon as I can. Sound mods seem to be a thing that, as a player, you often want to cherry pick from different mods to get a full "set" that you like. Since that takes some work, I haven't tackled it yet.

Thanks again for all your work!

That's how I do it :)

It's how I started soundmodding in the first place way back when I was playing the original Rainbow Six game :)