One thing I never knew about split squads

I've just realized something I didn't know about split squads / teams. I stumbled across this just now in CMFI, but I expect it applies to the whole engine:

I had split a rifle squad into three teams. One of them had become Broken, and another was Shaken (and thus unable to accept orders). The Shaken team ran into the building where the Broken team was located, and the two combined into one Broken (not Shaken) squad.

Shortly thereafter, I split the squad again. It divided into the earlier two teams--one of them Broken and one of them again Shaken.

Does this mean that CM actually tracks the morale state of teams individually even when they are combined into a squad? Is it actually tracking individual soldiers' morale, not just the morale of the whole unit?

You can split squads in different ways, so if morale was tracked at the team level, the engine would have to be able to keep track of 'semi'-arbitrary groups of troops. In that case, I'd be more inclined to think morale is tracked at the individual level. How unit morale is then calculated (in your case, the men in a shaken unit became broken when combined with a broken unit) would be an interesting follow on question. It might be posible to split broken squads to get teams that were still able to put up some fight.

Morale is, indeed, tracked at the individual soldier level for lots of reasons. You can sometimes see that one trooper of a team will break well before the others, or one will stick around, firing, for longer. The displayed state is an aggregate; it would be interesting to see how often "Broken" squads had enough "Rattled" men in them for there to be the possibility of splitting out a "Rattled" team. I don't imagine there will be many situations where there will be anyone not Rattled in a Broken element.

FWIW, the element's soft factors ab initio are also "aggregates". There could be a Veteran in that Regular squad, or a craven in that Low morale one.

• 4 weeks later...
Does this mean that one can deliberately combine a broken team with an unbroken team from the same squad to get an unbroken unit (like in CM1)?

ie: Which team's state takes precedence, a, b or c?

Since soldier state is tracked individually, it should recalculate the whole squad's state based on who's in it at the moment. I guess the question is the degree to which a broken minority pulls down the morale of an unbroken majority.

Say you split off a two-man scout team from a ten-man squad. One of the scouts is killed and the other is wounded and broken. When he rejoins the squad, how much will he depress the others?

A complicating factor is that the main squad will already have its morale affected by seeing/hearing that the split-off scouts are getting hit.

Ok, so it does NOT work like in CM1?

IIRC in CM1 if you recombined an ok A team with a broken B team, you got an OK squad which could be split next turn into two OK teams (A and B) once again. It was a fast way to have a broken unit recover.

Ok, so it does NOT work like in CM1?

IIRC in CM1 if you recombined an ok A team with a broken B team, you got an OK squad which could be split next turn into two OK teams (A and B) once again. It was a fast way to have a broken unit recover.

In CMx1 the squad was a blob with one status; manpower was really just hit points for the blob.

In CMx2, each soldier's state is tracked individually, and the squad rating shown is a kind of average for you judge by. It's definitely the case that some soldiers will cower while others fight--you can see it if you zoom in, and individual activity is listed on the left side of the screen.