Graphic a bit too blurry

I have just loaded FI and there everything looks fine. I bought Red Thunder today and I am wondering why I have this problem in this game :/

I have an Intel I7 2600k, 8 GB Ram with a 580 gtx TwinFrozr. Latest nvidia drivers installed.

here is an another example:

cmredthunderdlf7pjautc_thumb.jpg

from the top:

cmredthundery49k2txjr7_thumb.jpg

In the forums I found this thread.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=114691

As you can see in the last entry it has something to do with the model quality settings but my settings are on the highest. Seems that the game thinks I run it in "fastest".

That's looks like distance LODs are kicking in. Counter-intuitively, you might want to try experimenting with LOWER quality settings. The computer's struggling to render all those distant trees and it has to steal from Peter to pay Paul, so to speak. Back off the quality settings, the tree LODs may come a bit closer but the terrain LODs should kick in farther away.

I was also having graphics issues. My PC was defaulting to the intergrated graphics versus using my graphics card, NVDIA GT 745.

Once I ,configured the PC to use the NVDIA vs the intergrated graphics, quality and performance improved.

Not saying this is your issue, but check to ensure your graphics card is being utilized.

That's looks like distance LODs are kicking in. Counter-intuitively, you might want to try experimenting with LOWER quality settings. The computer's struggling to render all those distant trees and it has to steal from Peter to pay Paul, so to speak. Back off the quality settings, the tree LODs may come a bit closer but the terrain LODs should kick in farther away.

hmm, i changed both graphic settings to "improved" and got a very small improvement. But the blurry thing is definetly more than Fortress Italy :/ Is there a special ratio between "Peter" and "Paul" :)

cmredthunderpsi9yat0r1_thumb.jpg

Everybody's computer is different. And very large maps with lots of trees is a resource hog for some people. Me, I get beautiful mid-size maps but over a certain size my graphics card starts to object and distance LODs come in closer - sometimes very close if there's lots of units too.

FWIW, that was my thought as well. BTW, I have been noticing some graphics oddities in RT that I don't see in the older families as well. Made me wonder if something had been done in RT that doesn't sit well on my set up. But I am holding off on judgement until Apple gets some new improved graphics drivers out to us.

Michael

I don't think it has anything to do with the trees. It's about texture detail. With your settings, you should be able to run the game with the texture detail set to "best". If you already set this to "best", I only have one idea left:

Your machine is not using your graphics card. It is defaulting to using the integrated graphics processor in your CPU. It's a known Nvidia Optimus issue. Nvidia Optimus is supposed to let your computer run on the integrated GPU while you are in Windows, to save power, and then switch to the much more powerful graphics card (your GTX 580) the moment you start up a 3D game. Sometimes this doesn't happen, and you keep using your integrated GPU, which doesn't have enough memory for the textures.

I don't think it has anything to do with the trees. It's about texture detail. With your settings, you should be able to run the game with the texture detail set to "best". If you already set this to "best",

My interpretation of @MikeyD's message was that because of the number of trees in view, the card is under a higher load and it automatically reduces the texture quality on you. So in effect the number of things it is rendering (in this case trees) means the game or card is automatically down grading the quality of textures for part of the display. By which logic, changing to a lower quality setting overall might make things look more even. I'm not expert but that is how I interpreted his post.

I certainly notice that performance varies based on the map and number of units but also on the number of units / trees in view. I recently played Frosty Welcome. The map is not very big but there are a lot of buildings and once the battle is joined the number of units is pretty big. When I was panning the view I could feel the performance change as the camera moved. As more an more units appeared in my view the frame rate dropped and the panning was sluggish at times. And then as units left the view things would speed up and smooth out again. I had to lower the quality settings to mitigate that feeling. Same with Monty's Butchers - that map is pretty big and it has a lot of trees.

Side note: I am really looking forward to my new machine (due to arrive sometime next week) when I hopefully will not have to make as many compromises - my current machine is 5 years old and was no star when I bought it.

Your machine is not using your graphics card. ... supposed to let your computer run on the integrated GPU while you are in Windows, to save power, and then switch to the much more powerful graphics card (your GTX 580) the moment you start up a 3D game. ...

On my notebook it never automatically switches - grrr. I always have to tell it to run abc.exe using the NVida card.

Your machine is not using your graphics card. It is defaulting to using the integrated graphics processor in your CPU. It's a known Nvidia Optimus issue. Nvidia Optimus is supposed to let your computer run on the integrated GPU while you are in Windows, to save power, and then switch to the much more powerful graphics card (your GTX 580) the moment you start up a 3D game. Sometimes this doesn't happen, and you keep using your integrated GPU, which doesn't have enough memory for the textures.

I didnt know that may I7 2600k has an integrated graphic card :) I was looking in my bios and some forums but I cant find something to switch it off. On my brothers laptop I know that there is a option in the nvida drivers to turn it manually off. Do you know how I can do it on my system?

I think Optimus is only laptops - I am not seeing anything in the thread that suggests he is using one though? On a desktop he will be outputting from an interface straight off the graphics card, the integrated graphics will have a separate output.

I think Optimus is only laptops - I am not seeing anything in the thread that suggests he is using one though? On a desktop he will be outputting from an interface straight off the graphics card, the integrated graphics will have a separate output.

Never ocurred to me it would only be for laptops.. I thought all computers had it :)

This article suggests it's also for (modern) desktops: http://news.softpedia.com/news/NVIDIA-Optimus-Lands-on-Desktops-196761.shtml

Not sure if the guy's computer is new enough to have it. The CPU has integrated GPU though, from what I've read online.

I'm no expert either though, and I never had an optimus system myself, so sadly can't help with getting it to use the external graphics...

Hi, I have a question about the graphic in Red Thunder. As you can see on the screenshot the landscape gets very blurry in short distances. Is there a way to get better visuals? :confused: I toggled on the highest settings in the control menue.

cmredthunderl10wtknoiq_thumb.jpg

That's what mine always looks like, and my laptop doesn't have integrated video. However, it is 4 years old.

I found a solution to makte the blurry part more in the distance. I want to share it with you:

I downloaded a program called nvidiainspector. With it you can manualy adjust LOD bias. I post a screenshot with my settings below. I read about the settings in another forum. This settings are working only with 4xAA multisample:

nvidiaowiju497ag_thumb.jpg

Now the game also runs much smoother. Tell me your experience in case you tried it on your system.