Halftracks: Can Lone Driver Man The Gun?

I am playing the A Strange Awakening scenario, and the Allied player is provided with 5 halftracks at the start of the game, each unmanned except for a driver. I am putting them to good use, but if I transport troops and then offload them, leaving just the driver, can that driver man the machine gun?

I am playing the A Strange Awakening scenario, and the Allied player is provided with 5 halftracks at the start of the game, each unmanned except for a driver. I am putting them to good use, but if I transport troops and then offload them, leaving just the driver, can that driver man the machine gun?

Nope. Find a team out of ammo or otherwise not needed and tell em there is beer in the track.

Nope. Find a team out of ammo or otherwise not needed and tell em there is beer in the track.

Or if you have a jeep sitting around doing nothing, arrange to have it meet up with the HT in some location where they will not come under fire. Then have the jeep driver dismount and hop into the back of the HT and you're back in business. Works with truck drivers as well.

Michael

I saw a driver man the gun in one of ChrisND's videos... the halftrack took damage that immobilized it and the driver jumped up to man the gun. So possible, but not under normal conditions.

Bil

Yeah, and the halfie driver needs to be sufficiently steady-of-morale that they don't just abandon the vehicle at that point, too.

You might get some mileage out of splitting a scout team out to man the gun (I say Scout team in order to minimise the impact on the Squad's fire power).

I am playing the A Strange Awakening scenario, and the Allied player is provided with 5 halftracks at the start of the game, each unmanned except for a driver. I am putting them to good use

Ah yes, just played that recently. Not my favorite scenario, I guess I've become spoiled with the high-quality missions.

How did you use the halftracks though? I tried to do some clever hull-down tactics with them, but they can't seem to do that, either they have no line of sight or they pop out in full view over the ridge and immediately get shot up, reversing in panic...

• 2 weeks later...

You might get some mileage out of splitting a scout team out to man the gun (I say Scout team in order to minimise the impact on the Squad's fire power).

Further, later thought on this question. It seems I am prevented from splitting a squad while they are loaded in a halftrack. They have to disembark, split, then the split scout team has to re-embark. In WeGo this means three turns (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

I'm not sure if there has been any discussion of this, but I can see no reason other than a game engine restriction that would prevent splitting while seated in a halftrack. Lt. Jack says to the team, "Rick, you and Frank stay in the truck and man the gun, the rest of us have a job to do..."

Further, later thought on this question. It seems I am prevented from splitting a squad while they are loaded in a halftrack. They have to disembark, split, then the split scout team has to re-embark. In WeGo this means three turns (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

I'm not sure if there has been any discussion of this, but I can see no reason other than a game engine restriction that would prevent splitting while seated in a halftrack. Lt. Jack says to the team, "Rick, you and Frank stay in the truck and man the gun, the rest of us have a job to do..."

Yeah that one is a bit mmm yeah annoying.

You two get out of the truck and see what's over there. Well Sarge, how about we all get out of the truck, you can repeat that command and then get back in the truck if you like. Why would I do that pvt? Apparently Sarge, I can't hear you. Either that or you are in my way, take your pick. Pyle!!!!

I don't know what the mechanics are involved, but I am betting that is a tricky one.

If they're loaded in the halftrack you don't need to split anyone...

Sarge: Squad, dii-s Mount!

Squad: [hut hut hut]

Sarge: You two, get back in there and cover us with the MG!

PFC: [rolleyes] [sotto voce] You couldn't have told us not to get out in the first place, ya jackass?

They have to disembark, split, then the split scout team has to re-embark. In WeGo this means three turns (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

Agreed is is too bad but the good new is you are incorrect - two turns will do it :D

Disembark - one turn

split scout team, scout team mount HG - two turns