IDing terrain?

76mm

Another basic CMx2 question: how can I tell what kind of terrain is indicated on the map? In most wargames you can mouse over it and find out, but I can't see how to do this in CMRT.

For instance, in one of the scenarios there is some greenish looking stuff that my infantry can't enter...swamp? There are lots of types of terrain that I can't tell what it is...some kind of crops, but head-high corn, or soybeans?

Also, what is the deal with bridges? I didn't think a wooden bridge would hold one of my SU-76s, but it did...if a bridge can't hold a vehicle, am I prevented from moving a vehicle across, or will the bridge collapse if I do so?

Regarding bridges and what they can/cant support AFAICR this is not modeled at all.

Bridges of varying load capacities are indeed modeled. IIRC, we have light (infantry only), medium (all vehicles save heavy tanks) and heavy (everything).

Easiest way to tell if a vehicle can cross any given bridge is simply to select the vehicle, start to plot a movement order, and put the cursor on top of the bridge. If the vehicle is too heavy for the bridge, the cursor will change to the "no go" icon.

This is also a really good way to quickly scan terrain for where vehicles can pass, and also to quickly find fords in water.

Crops are potato, cabbage, and turnip (very eastern Europe) and grain. The tall yellow stuff is rape seed (now called Canola), used back then for industrial lubricants. The other terrain types are named in the map editor and are mostly what they look like - grass, yellow grass, tall yellow grass, Xtall yellow grass, dirt, mud, etc. The more subtle types are rocks/hvy rocks, light forest/hvy forest, marsh/deep marsh. You might want to paint them on a test map and familiarize yourself with how they look. If you can't place a vehicle movement cursor on a terrain its probably one of the 'hvy' no-go terrains

Thanks for the bridge and crop tips.

Do any of the crops conceal troops unless they are crawling? None of that stuff sounds tall enough...

Also, so what kind of terrain is impassable for infantry? I guess deep swamp?

If so, I hope the modders get to work on that terrain, because it looked like a golf course!

I applaud the name change.

Technically, "Canola" refers to a particular strain of Rapeseed that was originally cultivated in Canada and is more suited to human and livestock consumption than older cultivars of rapeseed. These days, at least in North America, the vast majority of Rapeseed grown is of the Canola type.

The name Canola (a mashup of "Canada" + "Oil") was deliberately chosen because it was better for marketing than "Rapeseed Oil." In the plant name, "Rape" comes from Latin "Rapum" simply meaning "Turnip", but brings obvious negative connotations in English. :rolleyes:

Since rapeseed oil makes a very good lubricant for e.g., industrial and nautical steam engines, it was actually a pretty important industrial crop in WWII.

The name Canola (a mashup of "Canada" + "Oil") was deliberately chosen because it was better for marketing than "Rapeseed Oil."

And also avoids a possible confusion with grapeseed oil, which is also used for cooking. I have not used it (grapeseed oil) but understand it is good for high temperature frying and the like as it does not smoke as readily as other oils. By the by, back a few decades ago, rapeseed oil was a component in the fuel for model airplane engines. I don't know whether it still is, but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be.

Michael

Technically, "Canola" refers to a particular strain of Rapeseed that was originally cultivated in Canada and is more suited to human and livestock consumption than older cultivars of rapeseed. These days, at least in North America, the vast majority of Rapeseed grown is of the Canola type.

The name Canola (a mashup of "Canada" + "Oil") was deliberately chosen because it was better for marketing than "Rapeseed Oil." In the plant name, "Rape" comes from Latin "Rapum" simply meaning "Turnip", but brings obvious negative connotations in English. :rolleyes:

Since rapeseed oil makes a very good lubricant for e.g., industrial and nautical steam engines, it was actually a pretty important industrial crop in WWII.

Rapeseed Grog

Rapeseed Grog

I think we've discussed rapeseed here before.

One of the prime differences between straight rapeseed oil and canola oil is that rapeseed is bad for humans. Canola was developed in Canada in the 70s primarily through selective breeding, specifically to have lower erucic acid than rapeseed and therefore be safe for human consumption. It is also lower in glucosinolates.

I was always told by farmers that the name Canola comes out of:

CANada

Oil

Low

Acid

We grow a lot of canola where I am.

One of the prime differences between straight rapeseed oil and canola oil is that rapeseed is bad for humans.

This has been disputed in more recent research. It's definitely true that rapeseed was at one time thought to be bad for humans, but it's been consumed in e.g., some areas of the Indian subcontinent for millennia and there is no good evidence of adverse health effects in the populations that actually eat it.

What is definitely true as that (non-Canola strain) rapeseed oil doesn't taste very good. High in acid and chlorophyll. Even cattle don't like it very much. The Canola Strain is much more palatable, to humans and animals alike. The non-Canola stuff also has a rather off-putting green color.

I was always told by farmers that the name Canola comes out of:

CANada

Oil

Low

Acid

This is an oft-cited myth. Don't know how it got started, but according to the originators of the Canola name (the Rapeseed Association of Canada), the name was simply derived from the words "Canada" and "Oil."

Looks like you need to up the brightness and saturation in the game ;)

I've been thinking that since BN came out. I am almost driven to distraction at times by people who like the movie view. Even when I set the weather for clear daylight, which tends to start the battle off around noon, everything on the ground looks like a cloudy day. If you are ever out in a rural environment on a sunny day, everything looks BRIGHT.

Michael

Looks like you need to up the brightness and saturation in the game

July is bright, September is dim. 1pm is bright, 9am is dim. Then there's the passing clouds. Everything changes again on an overcast day. What I should have done is picked a darker photo out of the hundreds that show up when you goggle rapeseed. ;)

I've been thinking that since BN came out. I am almost driven to distraction at times by people who like the movie view. Even when I set the weather for clear daylight, which tends to start the battle off around noon, everything on the ground looks like a cloudy day. If you are ever out in a rural environment on a sunny day, everything looks BRIGHT.

Michael

The first time I booted up CMRT I found myself wondering if there had been a severe drought in Russia in 1944. But you are right. Everything is a little dimmer and desaturated. It's one of the few changes from previous games that I'm not fond of.

July is bright, September is dim. 1pm is bright, 9am is dim. Then there's the passing clouds. Everything changes again on an overcast day. What I should have done is picked a darker photo out of the hundreds that show up when you goggle rapeseed. ;)

No, I've viewed the same map in the editor (3D preview) after changing the dates from September to June. No difference.

The first time I booted up CMRT I found myself wondering if there had been a severe drought in Russia in 1944. But you are right. Everything is a little dimmer and desaturated. It's one of the few changes from previous games that I'm not fond of.

Well, as I said before, it also looks too dim to me in BN and FI as well. I haven't decided yet whether it is worse in RT, if it is the difference is small.

Michael