!@&!@*%##!! Shermans stink!

confession time: I'm bit of a technology freak, so long posts on techo subjects I have no problem with smile.gif

Long posts on peoples personality inadequacies (NOT pointing fingers here) are less interesting ... wink.gif

As for the sights, well Fionn, we've discussed this before so I'll leave it where it lies now biggrin.gif

Jon

------------------

Quo Fas et Vino du Femme

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys I wouldn't go rewriting CM based on anything I posted. OK there were a lot of positive comments about German optics but I think clearly the real killing advanatges lie in armor and guns. These should already be reflected pretty well in CM. But then again I'm far from a tank expert. Like I said I'm sending everything off to BTS and they can mull over it.

However re: the powder superiority of the germans, here's something that we could possibly grab on to. The best way to possibly manifest it is that when a german tank fires from hiding at X range (Where X range is some distance at which you tank SMEs determine a tank cold not redily identify an enemy tanks shot by sound alone????), then it has an increased chance of remaining hidden? Don't know I'm thinking out loud.

Cheers...

Los

Berlichtingen,

Not meaning to nitpick here, but I found yur last comment interesting. This was regarding Germans being trained to shoot accurately on the move. It has always been my understanding that the Germans had a very strict tactical doctrine that stressed shooting only while stationary. I have seen US vets say things the equivalent of that the only area that US tankers had an advantage in was shooting on the move. Perhaps the German doctrine evolved as the war went on, moving toward a doctrine that forbad shooting on the move since it may have wasted scarce ammo. But your comment was the first I have ever seen intimating that the Germans would fire on the move. Just found it interesting.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Not meaning to nitpick here, but I found yur last comment interesting. This was regarding Germans being trained to shoot accurately on the move. It has always been my understanding that the Germans had a very strict tactical doctrine that stressed shooting only while stationary. I have seen US vets say things the equivalent of that the only area that US tankers had an advantage in was shooting on the move. Perhaps the German doctrine evolved as the war went on, moving toward a doctrine that forbad shooting on the move since it may have wasted scarce ammo. But your comment was the first I have ever seen intimating that the Germans would fire on the move. Just found it interesting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Firing while stationary may well be a late war developement. Earlier in the war it was common practice. It was one of the aspects of German tactics which allowed them to deal with the superior numbers and equipment they faced. The best descriptions I've seen of it in use were in the desert, but I have seen descriptions of tank actions in 1940 (France) and 1941 (Russia) in which the Germans are firing almost entirely on the move. It may well be that by 1944 this practice had been discontinued as the level of training dropped... much easier to train gunners to fire stationary. Also, with the German heavy tanks, the slow turret rotation would make firing on the move much more difficult.

this subject was covered, um, maybe a month ago. IIRC there was a quote from a conversation between Wittman and Rommel(?) in early '44 France, with Wittman explaining why it was EASIER to fire the Tigger on the move (momentum & inertia of a heavy vehicle I think). Sounds very counter-intuitive, but the statements did make some sense.

Regards

Jon

------------------

Quo Fas et Vino du Femme

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>IIRC there was a quote from a conversation between Wittman and Rommel(?) in early '44 France, with Wittman explaining why it was EASIER to fire the Tigger on the move<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, but Wittmann was no raw recruit, and Rommel was big on fast and furious maneuver.

yess, but they were talking about it in a general way, and I think while they were watching someone else do it(?)

------------------

Quo Fas et Vino du Femme

Zing! Found the thread…

Title: Interesting snippet

Thread ‘owner’: Mike D

Last Post: 9-23-99

can't figure out how to do a hot link...

Jon

------------------

Quo Fas et Vino du Femme