Odd Tank Rider Behaviour?

Gent,

Firstly, cracking job! I haven't been playing long (family visitors put paid to that idea ;) ), but it runs smoother than FI/BN, I love the Soviet options and it's immediately clear this is going to be great fun :)

But a question arose, I was playing the first tutorial mission and decided to mount a squad on a tank (not really necessary, but hey, new toy :D), they approached it and swarmed around, about half the squad mounted quickly, but the rest of the squad ran from one side of the tank to another several times, occasionally one of them would get on, but the whole boarding process ground to a halt. The mission ended that turn so I didn't get to see the full sequence play out, but they started the turn next to the tank so I saw enough.

It almost looks like they are playing musical chairs with what are (presumably) "slots" on the vehicle and all going for the same one. Is it just me or have other people been seeing this behaviour?

Cheers,

Jamie

Video of the behaviour:

I notice that the first squad, the HQ eventually gets seated, but it takes quite a bit of doing, and I have to wonder if the men who are running around trying to find a seat don't get tired in the process. It may just at the end of the day be a problem with the animation if luckily they don't get tired, since the time consumed may not be excessive. I can easily imagine that men laden with weapons and even a minimum of equipment might take a minute to climb on board and arranged. But doing it this way definitely looks weird, a real Keystone Kops routine.

Michael

I notice that the first squad, the HQ eventually gets seated, but it takes quite a bit of doing, and I have to wonder if the men who are running around trying to find a seat don't get tired in the process. It may just at the end of the day be a problem with the animation if luckily they don't get tired, since the time consumed may not be excessive. I can easily imagine that men laden with weapons and even a minimum of equipment might take a minute to climb on board and arranged. But doing it this way definitely looks weird, a real Keystone Kops routine.

Michael

It can still be troublesome. In this case I was trying to time it with the ending of the barrage I had laid down.

This behaviour set me back an entire turn.

(luckily the germans surrendered then, but if not, I would have had to move forward a full minute after the barrage ended.)

It can still be troublesome. In this case I was trying to time it with the ending of the barrage I had laid down.

This behaviour set me back an entire turn.

(luckily the germans surrendered then, but if not, I would have had to move forward a full minute after the barrage ended.)

I understand. If faced with a similar situation I will plan on embarking requiring a minute or more. Probably more.

Michael

While there may be some issues here, a real life perspective may not be so different from what we actually see.

Getting on the rear deck of a tank is not easy. They are high off the ground, often comprise of sharp edges, and were not designed to the easily mounted. Doing so when fully laden with weapon, ammo and kit makes it harder and being tired more so. So a minute plus to get a full squad onto a tank deck does actually seem right to me.

As for the tank firing, again I've no idea in game as to whether this is intentional but I'm not sure the main gun firing would be a good idea, and the riders would not want any chance that the turret might move (too many limbs to get caught, mangled, or generally ripped off).

In the real world tanks are heavy, dangerous bits of kit to be around. Infantry are not called crunchies for nothing !

P

On a different note, I played the Angriff scenario as the Germans. I see 4 SU-122's roll onto the field, all with riders. The SU's park. The riders stay put. I pick them off. They stay put.

I am wondering if the dismount trigger hadn't happened yet, but it does seem odd for them to simply sit on a parked tank taking fire.