Don't know if this is a bug and if so if already reported.

It seems when a US HMG team is moved next to bocage they can target to distance provided the terrain allows it. However if 1 man gets killed that no longer is the case and re-positioning the MG team doesn't fix that.

Its seems to have happened to 2 of my HMG teams so far.

Very strange.

Could be the target (sighting) line toward a particular map spot was just traced from that killed crew member alone, but as said, the gunner counts and is usually replaced when going down and with crew members left. Could also be the suppression from the kill, reduced spotting/LOS enough, that tracing LOF/LOS is now (temporarily) impossible.

"I know from previous discussions that LOS calculation for a MG team is done from the gunner."

That doesn't seem correct. Many times you can have LOS to a target from the MG team, but the MG/gunner cannot fire at the target because it is one or more of the other team members with the LOS and not the gunner.

If you have LOS from the gunner, you should be able to shoot at the target. Many times, one has LOS to a target from the "unit" but the gunner can't shoot at the target, because (apparently) HE can't see the target.... and he's dam well not going to move the MG a couple inches so he can shoot at it either!

Or, are we talking about different things?

Yes, I agree... the problem is that if you move the unit with the gunner to the action spot where the 2nd unit does have LOS, it often happens that the unit with the gunner STILL can't get LOS to actually shoot at the target. I thought that is what you meant.

NOT being able to shoot isn't quite the same as not having LOS. If you select the target unit and the unit with the gunner illuminates, then someone in that unit has LOS to the target. But, in the example you give above, the gunner often isn't the one seeing the target and so he can't shoot. It's a PITA.