A wish for a new command in CM

rocketman

In my current CMBN scenario I came across a situation that bothered me. I had troops in crop fields prone and trying to exit the map. Some 100 m away an enemy armoured vehicle kept watch. As soon as my troops got up to run away the got gunned down. I had a couple of bazooka units also prone. However with an aromoured arc they stayed prone and couldn't spot it. What I would like is the option for prone units to get up on one knee (is that the correct expression?) so that they would see over the crops and fire their bazookas in support of my retreating troops. Would removing the armoured arc have achieved that? But then they might have fired at other targets.

Just the other day I was reading a (real world) anecdote about a Russian tank crew being pinned by German fire next to their burning Sherman tank, expecting the tank to explode at any moment and kill them all. In other words, sometimes it simply sucks to find yourself pinned in the middle of a battlefield.

Just the other day I was reading a (real world) anecdote about a Russian tank crew being pinned by German fire next to their burning Sherman tank, expecting the tank to explode at any moment and kill them all. In other words, sometimes it simply sucks to find yourself pinned in the middle of a battlefield.

Thing is, the bazooka teams themselves didn't take incoming fire at all, so they were not pinned.

You can sometimes get troops to "kneel up and be counted" by giving them a Hunt order to their current AS or an adjacent one. ManPAT troops are sometimes willing to "snap shot" if they spot something while moving Quick, so should be very willing to do the same when Hunt-ing. If they see the target, they'll stop, and they might fire before going back to snake-in-the-grass mode, if their morale state permits.

I've always thought soldiers were too ready to conceal themselves in wheat fields or tall grass by going prone. Even before the lead starts to fly at the beginning of a scenario, they go prone. It is damn near impossible to spot anything unless the squad leader or HQ are present. Sometimes I too wish soldiers would go from prone to kneel when in these conditions if for anything for over watch when infantry are leapfrogging to an objective and help spot.