CMx2: Situational Awareness

76mm

Fizou, I am playing WeGo, and I think it was very different because of the targetting lines (incoming and outgoing).

Ah thats right, forgot the incoming target lines in x1. I dont really miss them in x2. Just by watching the action unfolding tells me the same thing.

It sounds like Vein (?) has some sort of animated text and tracer mods that sound like they'd help a lot...anybody know if the existing mods will work with CMRT or if they'll have to be updated?

The tracers will most likely work as is but the animated text definately needs to be updated (as it needs to be with every update).

After a few minutes the valley was filled with flaming enemy tanks, but I had literally no idea of which of my units had killed them. Sure I could go back after the scenario to figure out who had killed what, but it is not as fun as watching the action during the game.

This statement puzzled me. I still don't get what your problem is. I say that because, like you, I like to know who killed what and at first I too missed those lines showing who was firing at whom, especially the sources of incoming fire. But by zeroing in on the part of the action I want to investigate, pausing and replaying and viewing from various angles and distances, I can most often dope that out on my own. Plus, I get to see other cool things that I would have missed if I weren't doing that.

I suppose all that might not be personally satisfying to some players. It is time consuming and painstaking and not everybody goes for that kind of activity. But in my case, taking pains has always been an integral part of my experience in whatever I undertake, and in the case of CM it is also an integral part of the fun. Like I said, I get to see things that are part of the beauty of the game and which I might have completely overlooked.

Michael

One other technique I have used to locate unspotted enemy units is sound ranging. If an MG, mortar, or gun is making a nuisance of itself but none of my units seems to be able to spot it, I start moving the camera around until the muzzle report is loudest. Since the sound is also in stereo, swinging the camera will also help get a fix on its source. Once I get close that way, I start looking for likely terrain features where the offender might be lurking. Then I saturate that location with HE and/or automatic fire until it is killed, suppressed, or forced to move away.

With some players this technique is anathema and regarded as gamey. But screw that, those guys are trying to kill my guys and I will do what is necessary to keep them breathing and in the fight.

;)

Michael

This statement puzzled me. I still don't get what your problem is. I say that because, like you, I like to know who killed what and at first I too missed those lines showing who was firing at whom, especially the sources of incoming fire. But by zeroing in on the part of the action I want to investigate, pausing and replaying and viewing from various angles and distances, I can most often dope that out on my own. Plus, I get to see other cool things that I would have missed if I weren't doing that.

I suppose all that might not be personally satisfying to some players.

I think you've answered your own question about what my "problem" is. I guess I'm lazy, because I don't particularly enjoy having to rewind, replay several times from various angles to figure out what is happening for every vehicle . To me it falls on the tedious side of "time consuming and painstaking".

That said, I'll try the various tips in this thread, particularly the text describing what the unit is doing and tracers and see how it goes...

I think you've answered your own question about what my "problem" is. I guess I'm lazy, because I don't particularly enjoy having to rewind, replay several times from various angles to figure out what is happening for every vehicle . To me it falls on the tedious side of "time consuming and painstaking".

That said, I'll try the various tips in this thread, particularly the text describing what the unit is doing and tracers and see how it goes...

LOL yes admittedly it can feel tedious, but it is the small details that really kick this game over the top and without the rewind there is no way you are going to catch 90% of it.

At the risk of stating the obvious, smaller battles are easier to keep track of. Very small battles are VERY easy to keep track off. I often joke that the American motto should be "Nothing succeeds like excess." Players aren't obliged to play giant maps with multiple companies in "Iron" mode. If doing too much is overwhelming then do less. Nobody's grading you on performance. Really, I get as big a kick spending fifteen minutes with a few tanks exchanging fire on a random as commanding house-to-house sweeps down historically accurate city blocks for hours at a stretch.

Really, I get as big a kick spending fifteen minutes with a few tanks exchanging fire on a random as commanding house-to-house sweeps down historically accurate city blocks for hours at a stretch.

Yeah, I might want to start with some smaller scenarios, although generally I prefer the big ones!

I suppose all that might not be personally satisfying to some players. It is time consuming and painstaking and not everybody goes for that kind of activity.

Well, I almost always play RT and its not a huge issue for me, but it couldn't hurt to make tracers a bigger part of the UI:

1) more obvious from a distance

2) having a color (or color range) for each side instead of a generic yellow

3) larger, and perhaps slightly different color tracers, for small arms, medium- and large-caliber weapons.