Partizans?

76mm

There were no partisans involved in operation bagraton that I know of?

The game is specifically about operation bagraton.

Not the war in the east in general.

It's kinda like asking for french resistance fighters in paris for CM:BN.

Sure, they existed, but they didn't take part in the operations in normandie on any larger scale.

No, I don't think it was the same.

From Wikipedia:

The start of Operation Bagration involved the many partisan formations in the Belorussian SSR, which were instructed to resume their attacks on railways and communications. From 19 June large numbers of explosive charges were placed on rail tracks and though many were cleared, they had a significant disruptive effect. The partisans were also used to mop up encircled German forces once the breakthrough and exploitation phases of the operation were completed.

Link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bagration

They might make for an interesting addon for one of the Packs, but I actually dont know enough about Partisans to know if they'll make for an Interesting TO&E (I know I know realism first, still) or if they'd still need very special scenarios to work.

You can probably easily simulate Partisan Actions when designing a Scenario with using understrength Soviet Infrantry though.

The start of Operation Bagration involved the many partisan formations in the Belorussian SSR, which were instructed to resume their attacks on railways and communications. From 19 June large numbers of explosive charges were placed on rail tracks...

I'm sure you're right and the partisans played a part in Bagration. However, the engine is suboptimal at the sort of covert action that demolitions work on railways requires. Most demo ops on rail lines would be entirely unopposed. A CM mission to move one Breach team to a rail line, and occupy it at the end of a 20m scenario would be facile and tedious.

The partisans were also used to mop up encircled German forces once the breakthrough and exploitation phases of the operation were completed.

That might make a more interesting scenario: ad-hoc equipped, enthusiastic but poorly trained and led 'sans vs beat-up and out of supply veteran Landser with good leaders. Really difficult to balance though, and probably not, in the end, all that interesting to play, certainly not more than once. It's not like you have to rush in without waiting for overwhelming odds, at that stage; there weren't any flying relief columns coming east.

I'd say partisans would be a very low-usage unit, and give a poor development time:satisfaction ratio.

No love for the partisans at all...

Of course the bridge demolitions would be largely unopposed and out-of-scope for CMx2.

But I played a fair number of partisan scenarios in CMBB as part of meta-campaign and generally found them enjoyable and a great break from the typical panzerfest--convoys, armored cars, rain, snow, night, forests, poor-quality German troops--all made for an interesting and different playing experience.

Moreover, the addition of partisans, while not essential for any player-made meta-campaigns, certainly make them more interesting.

Odball...

google it...2ss Pzdiv in its way to normandie...ok it was co/plt scale but they do their part.

at the ostfront the scale was almost division/regiment.

Womble...

we have a kind of straggler german unit....so we have to have partisans...they were chasing them and act as mop up units in conjuncion with the regular red army until their incorporation to the later or their vacational visit to the gulag....or both (Stalin's way of recognition when the war ended).

at the ostfront the scale was almost division/regiment.

In addition to which, on several occasions a cavalry corps would infiltrate through German lines and link up with partisan forces to roam about the enemy rear committing all kinds of fun mischief. AIUI, some of these missions lasted weeks or even months.

Michael

We will definitely be adding Partisans at some point. They did participate in standup fights with German security forces, though they did tend to shy away from combat with frontline units that were intact. I have some excellent books on the partisan war on the Eastern Front. They make the contribution of the French Resistance look minor by comparison.

BTW, there was a highly coordinate and very large scale partisan component to Bagration. Obvious reasons why... there were so few roads and lines of communications in the area. As the Germans found their frontlines untenable they also found retreat next to impossible as well.

Steve

BTW, there was a highly coordinate and very large scale partisan component to Bagration. Obvious reasons why... there were so few roads and lines of communications in the area. As the Germans found their frontlines untenable they also found retreat next to impossible as well.

Was some of that also due to extensive forestation in the area, which provided ample terrain for the concealment and movement of guerrilla forces?

Michael

We will definitely be adding Partisans at some point.

Will be good to see in future packs not only Soviet, but also Ukrainian Insurgent Army (ukr. UPA) and Polish Armia Krayova partisans - they in some cases uses even armor vehicles. But UPA fought against both Axis and Soviet forces, so can be difficult to define their side in game... Thorough since summer 44' they concentrated on resistance against Red partisans and NKVD troops. Of course NKVD units also will be welcome - they not only defended rears but often fought in frontline (but mostly in 41-43' period)

Steve, thanks for the good news. Out of curiosity, do you think you'll add them in a pack, or in a module? I was concerned about modules since the next module will already pretty much take us beyond the Polish border?

And do you think we'll get the long-awaited female partisans?!