Can you re-load a PBEM game after it has been saved

I'm involved in a PBEM game. After loading the incoming game, watching the action, and making my moves, I saved the game. Is there any way to re-load the game to review the moves I made? If I just put it in the Incoming folder and load it, it requires the opponent's password to open. Are there any other options?

If you know for a fact that you have borked your turn (e.g. forgotten to button someone up when you know there is a sniper about), you can go back to the original file and redo your turn, but it is probably best to delete the outgoing file first (there can be problems with the new file not over-writing the old one.) Or you could rename the old file - in any case, there is no way to see how your turn went without first sending it to your opponent, "locking in" your decisions and game moves. This is an inherent part of the rules of the game - your opp is in the same boat and by the time you get to view the outcome of your decisions/moves, his are locked in for the next minute too.

I hope this helps.

I always try and remember to make a save of my turn before I hit the red button (and make saves periodically during the turn if it involves a lot of work), since once the red button is pressed and the outgoing turn generated, you can only go back to saves before that. Good for if the turn gets corrupted or the game or computer crashes, too.

I always try and remember to make a save of my turn before I hit the red button (and make saves periodically during the turn if it involves a lot of work), since once the red button is pressed and the outgoing turn generated, you can only go back to saves before that. Good for if the turn gets corrupted or the game or computer crashes, too.

Good to know! So, once I load an "ema" file from Incoming, watch how the last move went, I would then press the Big Red Button (BRB) to bring up the "issue commands" phase. I would then make my moves/issue orders, select SAVE, and save the file, then press BRB again to generate the outgoing *ema file. If I then load that saved file, it will have all the moves I just made, with the game in the same state as just before pressing the BRB?

That sounds like it would be a good habit to get into.

Good to know! So, once I load an "ema" file from Incoming, watch how the last move went, I would then press the Big Red Button (BRB) to bring up the "issue commands" phase. I would then make my moves/issue orders, select SAVE, and save the file, then press BRB again to generate the outgoing *ema file. If I then load that saved file, it will have all the moves I just made, with the game in the same state as just before pressing the BRB?

Indeed. That sounds like you have the principle grasped.

That sounds like it would be a good habit to get into.

O'course, if you use the admirable H2HH, you have to jump quick-smart to grab the file back out of first your outgoing folder, then the DB folder before your oppo notices it's there and starts working on their turn. If you don't nobble the \outgoing...\....ema file first, H2HH will just copy it back into H2HH when it notices that there's a higher number .ema in your outgoing folder than there is in the DB folder.

...then the DB folder before your oppo notices it's there and starts working on their turn. If you don't nobble the \outgoing...\....ema file first, H2HH will just copy it back into H2HH when it notices that there's a higher number .ema in your outgoing folder than there is in the DB folder.

My rule is don't hit the BRB until you are really done. If you save the turn and want to stop the game you can just quite and load the save later.

To avoid surprising number jumps I have a habit of adding '_save' after the current number and then when I am ready to really send the turn I delete the '_save 001' off the end of the name so my opponent sees the turn number they were expecting to see.

That naming scheme has the added benefit of making it clear in the turn list which ones are just saves from past turns.

My rule is don't hit the BRB until you are really done. If you save the turn and want to stop the game you can just quite and load the save later.

To avoid surprising number jumps I have a habit of adding '_save' after the current number and then when I am ready to really send the turn I delete the '_save 001' off the end of the name so my opponent sees the turn number they were expecting to see.

That naming scheme has the added benefit of making it clear in the turn list which ones are just saves from past turns.

My save naming convention is to just put "o" (for "orders phase") or "r" (for replay) after the generic numbering system. If I really think it's going to take a couple of stabs before I'm happy, I'll let the game tag another "001" on the end so I can step back through my order versions if I want to, then just hack "the [o|r] and everything after" off the end to get back to the proper turn number when it asks for the name at BRB-time. Achieves the same thing; just sharing.

Yeah, sounds cool. If I saved more I would probably copy you.

It's generally only really big scenarios that I save more than "just before the BRB"... So painful to redo everything if there's a technical SNAFU. I'm surprised you don't save a few times a turn in you big 20kpoint game :)