Scenario map making - fortifications questions

Badger73

Scenario Designers,

Started making a scenario. Am doing the map first (thank you, Battlefront, for the overlay feature!!!); nothing yet created for Forces, Units, Objectives and such.

Mapping question.

- Where are fortifications (foxholes, trenches, bunkers, pillboxes) in the map editor?

- How do you add fortifications to and place upon map?

I don't see them in any ground, building, or flavor object selections.

Scenario module question.

What makes a scenario available as CMBN base-game, CW, or MG?

- What else besides including any British / British equipped units makes it "Commonwealth" required?

- What else besides including ditch-lock or MB bridges makes it "Market Garden" required?

Appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you!

Scenario Designers,

Started making a scenario. Am doing the map first (thank you, Battlefront, for the overlay feature!!!); nothing yet created for Forces, Units, Objectives and such.

Mapping question.

- Where are fortifications (foxholes, trenches, bunkers, pillboxes) in the map editor?

- How do you add fortifications to and place upon map?

I don't see them in any ground, building, or flavor object selections.

Scenario module question.

What makes a scenario available as CMBN base-game, CW, or MG?

- What else besides including any British / British equipped units makes it "Commonwealth" required?

- What else besides including ditch-lock or MB bridges makes it "Market Garden" required?

Appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you!

Fortifications

Under unit selection. you then place them under unit deploy. Go into blue side, select fortifications, buy what you want and then deploy them. They aren't considered "map" features.

Modules

Under data there is a selection for Holland or France. I believe that will only drive the map selection features. You then have to base unit selection off of some knowledge of what units are available from which module. That is a little trickier. Ditchlock I think is not a MG feature, but rather a 2.0 feature. In other words you can have CMBN upgraded solo to 2.12 and have that feature. A player with CMBN only upgraded to 1.11 will not.

Keep in mind use of the overlay feature implies having an upgraded base game as well. That was not available in cmbn 1.0.

One thing I do if you want to do fortifications before you select your actual combat forces. You have to select a formation to start- select the FO. It qualifies under formations and yet you only have a team and vehicle to deal with.

Fortifications

Under unit selection. you then place them under unit deploy. Go into blue side, select fortifications, buy what you want and then deploy them. They aren't considered "map" features.

Modules

Under data there is a selection for Holland or France. I believe that will only drive the map selection features. You then have to base unit selection off of some knowledge of what units are available from which module. That is a little trickier. Ditchlock I think is not a MG feature, but rather a 2.0 feature. In other words you can have CMBN upgraded solo to 2.12 and have that feature. A player with CMBN only upgraded to 1.11 will not.

Keep in mind use of the overlay feature implies having an upgraded base game as well. That was not available in cmbn 1.0.

One thing I do if you want to do fortifications before you select your actual combat forces. You have to select a formation to start- select the FO. It qualifies under formations and yet you only have a team and vehicle to deal with.

@sburke,

Got it! Makes sense when one knows the logic. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Appreciate previous help thus far. Hit a new snag.

Finished map. Created deployment zones and mission map objectives for both sides. Purchased US Infantry formation, reinforcements, and obstacles. Deployed US forces on map.

Am now ready to purchase and deploy Axis forces. Scenario is France on 6-August-1944. Want to purchase formation for SS Panzer Division, Aufklahrung Battalion. (Units from an Armored Reconnaissance company of 2nd SS). Editor won't let me. Only offers option to purchase Army and Kriegsmarine formations. Waffen SS and Luftwaffe don't display the rectangular bracket indicating "selectable".

(As FYI, Am using CMBN v2.12 on a backup laptop where I only installed CMBN Base game and CMMG. Using the laptop to work on scenario writing at night while on the road for business travel. Primary gaming rig has CMBN, CMCW, and CMMG.)

Am new at creating scenario's. This is my first. Problem is likely User Error. What is wrong? How do I fix? Thank you.