HQ support and XO team

Hi everybody

After years playing CM1 games on an older computer, I got at last myself CM-BN :) .

Could somebody shed some light on how to use properly the HQ Support team attached to the weapon platoon and XO team attached to the Company HQ. Are they just spatial relays allowing the commanders to stay behind ?

Dominique

They're good for leading patrols, since they have radios and a few stripes on their sleeves.

I wonder how much patrol activity is actually happening in CM games...

Short fights on small maps reduce the importance of patrols.

Playing only against the AI, knowing it can't react or exploit a weakness, also may lead players to overlook patrols and patrol tactics.

Typically we think of recon and scouting patrols, to find the enemy. Even then there can be a difference between a patrol tasked solely to gather intel and a "fighting patrol" that's out on its own looking for trouble.

Patrols are useful to cover gaps between your positions when you don't have the resources for a continuous front or LOF to cover those gaps.

And it was also doctrine on the US side for every unit to always maintain visual contact with some element of a neighboring unit. "Contact" patrols can accomplish that.

Are there other good uses of patrols that other players have found in-game?

The ones with radios can call in artillery. I've used them that way. They can't call in the heavier types, those require a dedicated FO, but they can call in anything organic to the company or the battalion of which they are a part.

Michael

The ones with qualified spotters can call artillery. The radio doesn't matter, although there is a strong correlation. :)

In that case, are there any extra delays in response from the battery?

Michael

Nope. Arty call privileges are just an attribute of a team's leader. If they don't have RT, I think we have to assume wired comms.

One thing I don't think I've ever checked is whether an XO in the same HQ team as a arty-privileged leader retains those privileges when he takes over from his hors-de-combat looie.

I sometimes use them a scouts or to watch for flanking movements.

Me too. In fact, if they aren't giving first aid, they are just a bunch of eyes and guns most of the time. I am more careful with them usually to ensure they don't get whacked, but they aren't just hanging out in the wings in case the CO bites the big one.

Michael