First impression

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our thinking is inline with others. If it isn't important enough to be needed by everybody, then it's not important enough to have at all. That's been our philosophy throughout the whole CM experience and we don't see a reason to change it.

Thanks for clarifying Steve. It was just the negotiator in me suggesting an option - to avoid the inevitable situation of two arguing sides forming - "we don't need no stinking new commands" vs "it's broken without xxxxx command!"

I don't think the commands are too complex and am often surprised by claims to the contrary. The way I see it: if a new command comes along I'm free to use it or ignore it. Simple.

Part of the problem is that we've been improving and enhancing game functionality over time. If we had to do a radical UI overhaul each time we added something I can tell you there'd be a lot less new stuff :D So one unintentional consequence of adding things is not necessarily having the UI do what we want we would have it do if we could start from a clean slate.

That's not to say we couldn't do a better job with stuff here and there, just pointing out that it's harder than it looks to keep all CM's moving pieces optimally in motion without some compromises somewhere.

That's the kind of thing I was thinking when I wrote that it might have been designed that way to solve a particular problem. The problem in this case being the inclusion of a new functionality while getting the whole package out the door in a reasonable amount of time. My expectation—which of course might or might not be fulfilled—is that at some point time will be available for a clean up of the UI that will make the aberration go away.

In any event, now that I understand how it works I can live with it in the meantime.

Michael

The mouse over stuff is kinda like a bottomless pit. There is a case to be made for mouse over for just about everything. But that brings with it all kinds of problems, especially for us because we support many languages. Can we put in more? Sure. Should we put in more? Yes. Will we put in more? Most likely. Will we have everything with mouse help that people ask for? Definitely not.

Steve

Just want to say that your responsiveness to user requests and continuing effort to improve CMx2 is very much appreciated. So a big thanks to you and the whole team.

In addition to Rank, please add a mouse-over tool tip for Nationality in the UI.

There is a nationality flag mod for CMBN + CW, apologies to the modder for forgetting his name, that is very good. I would like to see something of that nature added permanently to the game, thus eliminating the need for the mouse-over.

In general I am in the "I'd rather see improved features over improved UI" camp...

The mouse over stuff is kinda like a bottomless pit. There is a case to be made for mouse over for just about everything. But that brings with it all kinds of problems, especially for us because we support many languages. Can we put in more? Sure. Should we put in more? Yes. Will we put in more? Most likely. Will we have everything with mouse help that people ask for? Definitely not.

Translating one or two words is a lot of work? Not trying to be a smartass, Steve, because I know the challenges of translating digital work (I work with translators for the Rise of Flight documentation), but it's not like we're asking for large blocks of text to be translated.

Mord, no knock on your work, and kudos for the effort and results, but this is the mod I'm talking about (it uses a different approach):

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=102878&highlight=flags

Again, many thanks for the hours and hours of time you've spent making mods and making them available to the rest of us.

Mord, no knock on your work, and kudos for the effort and results, but this is the mod I'm talking about (it uses a different approach):

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=102878&highlight=flags

Again, many thanks for the hours and hours of time you've spent making mods and making them available to the rest of us.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that one. Very nice little mod. I had that installed at one time.

You are welcome. Enjoy it.

Mord.