MG:Frosty Welcome - No Spoilers

I have been battling through the streets of Arnhem with this amazing scenario. Having spent so much time in the bocage, the city fighting is a welcome change, but also a bloody reminder that I have gotten rusty in my house-to-house fighting.

The map is fantastic and really immerses you into the terrible fighting that occurred around the base of that famous bridge.

I haven't finished it yet, but I can say that the Brit AI is giving me fits. The Red Devils are living up to their reputation. They are tenacious.

The designer is to be commended. This is one thoroughly enjoyable battle. Thanks for all the hard effort that must have gone into putting this one together.

As a side note, the inclusion of fausts and shrecks firing from inside buildings is a welcome touch. There is a down side though. I wasn't paying all that much attention to one of the squads, but coming back to them the next turn I noticed that every single one of them showed yellow for slightly wounded. A quick check of the shreck rockets showed that some had been fired, and the squad was in a building. Evidently Hans failed to warn his mates prior to firing the "stove pipe" and ended up wounding his whole squad. :-( I would recommend splitting off the shreck guy and his loader as an AT team and keeping them behind the building.

Heinrich505

Agreed. I am paying this one head to head right now and man it is tough to gain ground on the Brits. We have had some amazing fire fights so far - well done.

I do have one criticism and that is "please reconsider the beaming in of reinforcements". It is not good to have reinforcements suddenly appear and be in the LOF. The second group of reinforcements dropped right in the LOF of the enemy and were taken out before I could issue any sensible orders. Yes, I am being deliberately vague about what and where because I do not want to introduce spoilers.

If the scenario designer wants more details please PM me and I'll give you the full story.

I would recommend splitting off the shreck guy and his loader as an AT team and keeping them behind the building

Or have the AT team alone on their own floor of a building at least.

I've enjoyed the urban scenarios too.

However a slight disappointment has been terraces of buildings where the adjoining buildings have windows on the "internal" walls. I know, old gripe is old, but it was a bummer to see my carefully planned breach through a terrace get mown down by neighbours who had a perfect LOS through the windows.

Agreed. I am paying this one head to head right now and man it is tough to gain ground on the Brits. We have had some amazing fire fights so far - well done.

I do have one criticism and that is "please reconsider the beaming in of reinforcements". It is not good to have reinforcements suddenly appear and be in the LOF. The second group of reinforcements dropped right in the LOF of the enemy and were taken out before I could issue any sensible orders. Yes, I am being deliberately vague about what and where because I do not want to introduce spoilers.

If the scenario designer wants more details please PM me and I'll give you the full story.

Or have the AT team alone on their own floor of a building at least.

hey Ian, that would be me. I'll PM you, but just a few notes. This is my first attempt at a large scenario, frankly I was doubtful I could pull it off. It is using Pete's outstanding map, I take no credit for that, and a healthy dose of feedback from testers to help me along.

Not sure where they beamed in to as I tried to avoid that. I assume it is the German side as the Paras all start on map. I was trying to make it so it had some replay value and have alternate axis and timing for attacks, but likely missed something.

Glad to hear folks are enjoying it and once again to point out, scenario design is not impossible- if I can do it.....

hey Ian, that would be me. I'll PM you, but just a few notes. This is my first attempt at a large scenario, frankly I was doubtful I could pull it off. It is using Pete's outstanding map, I take no credit for that, and a healthy dose of feedback from testers to help me along.

Message received and email with my elaborated comments sent. Hope it is helpful. I think this is a fun scenario BTW - thanks.

Having fired a few 90mm recoilless rifle rounds in my younger days (yeah, I've been around a while), I'm not surprised by the effect on the nearby troops if they were in a room with it. My reaction from those was along the lines of "holy crap if it's that bad on the firing end I'd hate to get hit by it."

Panzerschreck is 88mm so I'd assume the effect to be very similar.

Regarding the beaming in- Seems I overlooked reviewing the scenario focusing so much on AI plans and didn't focus as much on what a human player might do. Beaming in is simply the effect of having reinforcements appear for the AI attacker. The default location unfortunately is in a position where an Allied player can set up an ATG based on the one of the Allied AI option plans and requirement to have a set up zone position there. Sorry guys. Item to put in my notebook for future reference.

Hopefully there is enough meat in the scenario that this particular issue isn't too much of a downer.