CMBN Module Order

Hey all I have been away from CM for far too long but bought CMBN soon after it first came out. Since then, the Commonwealth Forces and now Market Garden have been released with Fortress Italy in there as well. Doing a search to try and catch myself up on the order in which they all came out has left me more puzzled than before so now I must ask, probably the 1000 person to ask but....

To get caught up fully, what do I need to do? Like I said I have the first "base"? game CMBN but that's where I ended. Is Fortress Italy apart of it? Different game? And am I wrong assuming that CF is just british and Canadian units (with the SS) in the CMBN maps? Whereas Market Garden is new maps?

Its my fault for being away so long, I just don't know what to buy first, I can only buy one at the moment. Sorry if this is a question that has been answered too many times before.

Base game: CMBN and CMFI

Modules for CMBN: CW and MG.

Modules for CMFI: GL.

Packs: No released so far.

Content:

Base Game: Major code upgrades.

Module: New Units/Formations/Vehicles, scenarios and campaigns. Might contain new terrain etc (MG and GL)

Packs: No released yet. Some inf from BF, but might change: New Units/Formations/Vehicles and some scenarios focusing on the new units etc. Might also contain some new terrain etc.

Yes. Get CW, learn to play the British. (And the others.)

Don't forget: CMBN was upgraded to v2.00 along the way. There is a fee for that engine upgrade.

As well, prior to the upgrade a FREE patch was released. Patch it, upgrade it, add CW, add MG. Then your CMBN will be up to speed.

For CMFI, patch it (Free) and add GL. Then CMFI will be up to speed.

(Fwiw, CMFI v1.xx = CMBN v2.xx. The CMBN v2 engine upgrade significantly changes the game and incorporates all the improvements worked on for CMFI. This is for clarification purposes only. There is NO need to have CMFI to run CMBN, and vice versa: they are separate games.)

The website should have some bundle pricing to save you money.

Does that help?

Ken

Don't forget: CMBN was upgraded to v2.00 along the way. There is a fee for that engine upgrade.

As well, prior to the upgrade a FREE patch was released. Patch it, upgrade it, add CW, add MG. Then your CMBN will be up to speed.

Ken

actually add CW and then patch it. The 1.11 patch is applied to CW as well. It may be okay patching CMBN then adding CW as the 1.11 brz will still be there as long as you are upgrading, but I'd do the 1.11 patch after loading CW just to be sure.

For CMFI, patch it (Free) and add GL. Then CMFI will be up to speed.

(Fwiw, CMFI v1.xx = CMBN v2.xx. The CMBN v2 engine upgrade significantly changes the game and incorporates all the improvements worked on for CMFI. This is for clarification purposes only. There is NO need to have CMFI to run CMBN, and vice versa: they are separate games.)

The website should have some bundle pricing to save you money.

Does that help?

Ken

With apologies to the original poster for hijacking his question a little, is it only me that would like a way out of these different version numbers?

My first choice, for more reasons than this, would be to separate the game engine - and have just one current version - for use with any and all the data modules for maps and OOBs. But that ship has already sailed (to the wrong port IMHO ... :) ).

So as a second choice - though I suspect it is not a usual software development nomenclature - could we not have the version numbers made to match across the modules?

For example, after CMBN is patched to 2.11 (to patch 2.1 and upgrade 2.01 to the same state), when this state is then also applied to CMFI could it not be labelled as CMFI v2.11 also, not v1.xx (?), so that it is visible from a glance at their version numbers that the games are, or are not, at the same point development-wise, and include (or not) the same game features?

The confusion is only going to get worse as Bulge, East Front, etc are published and more sequences of version numbers are created?

No problems PhilM :)

Thanks for the help gents, so I guess CMBN and CMFI would be comparable to CMBO and CMBB then, two different games but generally the same? Im having a real tough time getting into CMBN. Guess Im missing stuff I loved in CMBO and all like the line of sight tool (I know I can use the target button) and stuff like the unit info display when you hit enter when you had a unit selected. I liked all the info there.

Great game still, just need more practice with it and the bocage is absolutely destroying me.

No problems PhilM :)

Thanks for the help gents, so I guess CMBN and CMFI would be comparable to CMBO and CMBB then, two different games but generally the same? Im having a real tough time getting into CMBN. Guess Im missing stuff I loved in CMBO and all like the line of sight tool (I know I can use the target button) and stuff like the unit info display when you hit enter when you had a unit selected. I liked all the info there.

Great game still, just need more practice with it and the bocage is absolutely destroying me.

If you're not a fan of bocage, CMFI and its add-on are great games - thoroughly recommend them (check out the AARs to get a flavour).