Should I buy it?

Easy solution: Does your Mom like Italians? Get CMFI and have her learn how to play! Hotseating brings families closer together!

Does you Mom like the Dutch? Well, wait till Market Garden and break out the Orange!

If she likes BOTH Dutch and Italians, well, you buy one and have her buy the other.

Oddball - IMO FI on it's own wasnt so great. I defitely preferred stock BN to stock FI.

HOWEVER the GL mod for FI completely changes the game and makes it great - at least as good as CMBN 2.01, and I prefer GL over BN 2.01. At least until MG comes out.

Seriously - the Fallschirm addition, along with CW forces, Kiwis, Poles, new terrain, and also the huge amount of time available (summer 43 to may 44) makes for great diversity, and options to have a lot of different battles, situations etc.

Also the engine has really been tuned to a great place. Especially huge was the 2.01 change with the new machine gun behavior, which drastically changed the face of the battlefield in game, in a much more realistic fashion.

What war isn't? War is resorting to brute force when all else has failed or looks unpromising.

Anyway...Oddball, if I haven't said so before, it warms my heart to see you on the board again. I remember you from "back in the day".

Now, as to your question and how I would advise you: CM:FI/GL is a fine game and you should definitely buy it, but not right now. Hold on to your money until your situation improves and focus on improving your situation. Meanwhile, continue to play with BN/CW and if you find you can afford it, MG when it comes out. You might also look into finding other diversions that don't cost money, or at least much money. I don't know what is available in your area that might appeal to you, so I can't be specific I'm afraid, but there ought to be something.

There was a time several decades ago when I was down and out for a couple of years, so I know just what that feels like. About all I had going for me was the resiliency of youth and a few friends who didn't quite let me starve. But even from those hard and stressful times I retain memories of almost transcendent beauty. Find such moments and live for them.

Michael

Thanx man! I (of course) remember you too from the olden, golden, days :)

Anyway, as it turns out i won't be buying CMFI (at least not this month).

I just got a text from the post office that i have a package coming. Turns out i pre-ordered the indiana jones collection BluRay (and the Mad Max collection BluRay) a while ago, and i completely forgot about it hehehe.

So now its on its way, and ill have to pay more for those two boxes than i would for the entire CMFI bundle :P

Oh well, at least i can watch the classics in high-def :)

Spend your money on a plane ticket to UK.

Claim your garden plants have threatened to kill you / or imprison you and wham = new house, grant to furnish it, £75 a week or more if you can claim you drink a lot of beer :) . Say something outrageous e.g. Bin Laden rocks and let them spend 10m trying to get you out of the country. Sell your story to the papers or just leave your phone on a lot but check for phone tapping and then sue the papers or whomever is doing it = bam, wont be long before you could buy Italy itself.

Then you can buy FI as well as a flat screen etc once you take a job over here (everyone wants to employ people not from the UK).

Hope this helps :)

Having been a detractor of the CMx2 engine for a very long time like you I was out of work (stroke) and had some free time and free money so I bought into CMFI and gustav line package deal because I was bored (waiting on RTWII and Talisman digital and Hereos of Stalingrad) but I'm glad I did the ai has been kicking my butt and it's enjoyable losing once in awhile. I wish more and more companies built games to win and not just delay our victory. I'd say get it and I'm not biased. The only disappointed I have with the game is no real random battle maps they are taken from a group of maps already made by someone else who thinks he knows how to make maps.

Having been a detractor of the CMx2 engine for a very long time like you I was out of work (stroke) and had some free time and free money so I bought into CMFI and gustav line package deal because I was bored (waiting on RTWII and Talisman digital and Hereos of Stalingrad) but I'm glad I did the ai has been kicking my butt and it's enjoyable losing once in awhile. I wish more and more companies built games to win and not just delay our victory. I'd say get it and I'm not biased. The only disappointed I have with the game is no real random battle maps they are taken from a group of maps already made by someone else who thinks he knows how to make maps.

Please I beg of you most humbly, dispense your wizardry at making maps!!! Don't leave us in the gnarled hands of those who only think they know how to make maps!! Dazzle us with your skill and brilliance, we are craving to see to what heights you can take us!!

• 2 weeks later...