Fortress Italy owner with a question.

Hello,

Does Battle for Normandy 2.0 have the exact graphics, features, and UI as Fortress Italy? I currently own Fortress Italy, and don't want to purchase Normandy if its a downgrade in anyway. I read the 2.0 release in the store, but wasn't positive.

So basically, is Battle for Normandy 2.0 identical to Fortress Italy besides the theater and units?

Thanks!

Without thinking too hard about it, I think the answer you are looking for is: Yes.

Perhaps the Market Garden module will revive your interest in Normandy later on, because the bridges are really something special!

Best regards,

Thomm

Does Battle for Normandy 2.0 have the exact graphics, features, and UI as Fortress Italy?

As you can see there are no easy answers here :D

The way BFC is working, each new module also patches the base game and those patches include fixes and minor features (said patches are also made available to the base game for those that did not buy the module). When they release a new game the engine often gets upgrade with new features as well. The net effect is they are doing little leap frog jumps. We expect the same as things go forward (although you can see how this will get complex once they add the eastern front and the modern game, and add modules to them...). It remains to be seen what decisions they make about keeping everyone of their games in sync. They have stated that they intend to and I hope they do pull it off.

They are back porting fixes as things come out. A couple of examples of this leap frogging. Once the CMBN 2.01 patch came out with the MG behviour tweaks, the MGs in CMBN behaved differently from CMFI. Then Gustav Line came out and the patch for CMFI included the MG changes. Now the behave the same. But they added the movie mode which has yet to make it into CMBN but we all expect it to. These are just two known examples but there are many many more and some fixes are not even called out.

In terms of playability and the look and feel you will be right at home in both games. There will likely be a few small things that are not completely the same - and you might not even notice them. Honestly, though have no fear you will have no trouble playing both games.

The terrain in BN is strikingly different from FI, which gives the two games different looks. But that is to be expected as the two theaters were equally different. The equipment and organizations vary significantly between the two games because time-wise BN picks up where FI/GL leaves off.

However, the mechanics of the games themselves are pretty much the same. You won't have any trouble transitioning between them.

Michael

Not identical, as pointed out above... I own both and am currently only starting CMFI/GL battles because there are some fixes in it that I deem important, e.g., tank targeting accuracy not negatively affected by the pause command (thanks for discovering this vanir). Prior to this I was only playing CMBN because of the MG fix. So... the benefits of owning both is one always has access to the most updated version of the engine (outside of the development versions). If I didn't own both I would wait until MG and buy a bundle.

Not identical, as pointed out above... I own both and am currently only starting CMFI/GL battles because there are some fixes in it that I deem important, e.g., tank targeting accuracy not negatively affected by the pause command (thanks for discovering this vanir). Prior to this I was only playing CMBN because of the MG fix. So... the benefits of owning both is one always has access to the most updated version of the engine (outside of the development versions). If I didn't own both I would wait until MG and buy a bundle.

And don't forget the- much needed- FOW limitations introduced in GL. Ian.Leslie has a point about leapfrogging. There's a built-in incentive to buy the most recent release in order to enjoy the latest refinements. Eventually the updates filter down to the earlier games/modules but that may take a while. It makes a great- if inadvertent- marketing strategy.

And don't forget the- much needed- FOW limitations introduced in GL. Ian.Leslie has a point about leapfrogging. There's a built-in incentive to buy the most recent release in order to enjoy the latest refinements. Eventually the updates filter down to the earlier games/modules but that may take a while. It makes a great- if inadvertent- marketing strategy.

My "forgetting" the FOW limitations is proof of concept. I have only just now finished up my latest CMBN pbems and am now beginning to play GL pbems. The FOW limitations are indeed a welcome feature.