Issue with Chinese scorched earth?

I have only played two turns of the AoD WaW campaign, but I noticed when I took Foochow the game notified me that the Chinese had destroyed Foochow, or it had been destroyed by combat: "Foochow Destroyed." I was familiar with this from the AoC BtB campaign and was expecting the city to take a supply hit. However both the city and the port appeared to be fine. Maybe the Chinese just aren't as good with scorched earth as the Soviets? ;)

I was not sure dummy scortchearth was intentionnal but I got the pop-ups anyway with no effect whatsoever. It has been like that in all my games, Russia included.

With true scortchearth, keep note that German and japanese advance will give durable headaches to the Axis players. In my hotseats so far, I have never been able to take Moscow due to poor supply and the need for secondary drives against southern targets. Still, a agree with scortchearth on wherever you see fit.

Just be careful with this feature. If you can take a city in a single turn, you should be able to have it not be damanged or just minor damage. If it takes longer than a single turn, then the defenders would have enough time to damage things in a major way. Because no one is going to start damaging the stuff they need too until it is obvious the city is about to fall and is usually the last thing they do as they leave the city.

For example if a city is empty and I just run through it, it should not become damaged at all. Or if I para drop into a city, I should be able to capture it intact.

So I hope that every time you capture a city it does not get destroyed as there were many locations where this did not occur.

Edit: Just had another thought :) Air units defending a city should not be able to damange the city since these units did not really have the manpower to effect the city the way that army units did. Or maybe half the damage (rounded down so a 5 becomes a 3).

Just be careful with this feature. If you can take a city in a single turn, you should be able to have it not be damanged or just minor damage. If it takes longer than a single turn, then the defenders would have enough time to damage things in a major way. Because no one is going to start damaging the stuff they need too until it is obvious the city is about to fall and is usually the last thing they do as they leave the city.

For example if a city is empty and I just run through it, it should not become damaged at all. Or if I para drop into a city, I should be able to capture it intact.

So I hope that every time you capture a city it does not get destroyed as there were many locations where this did not occur.

Edit: Just had another thought :) Air units defending a city should not be able to damange the city since these units did not really have the manpower to effect the city the way that army units did. Or maybe half the damage (rounded down so a 5 becomes a 3).

I am pretty sure that Stalin put civilians to the task of scorched earth as well, and due to the scale of the game I do not think that a city is ever actually "empty" there is just not enough forces present to represent an organized unit.

Furthermore, most cities in the game are not actually totally destroyed as they will have their supply levels raised back very quickly. There are ways to "destroy cities" by never allowing their supply to raise above 0 again, but it is usually not used in the base game. Overall I think that the mechanic does a great job of representing the harsh logistics of supply in the theaters where scorched earth is represented in the game.