speech

Will there be any speech cues within CM such as typical phrases such as "incoming" and take cover etc? I know this would be contradictory to the nature of the game but i was just curious. Also have you finalised, or further considered leaving KIA soldier sprites on screen. I think this has a great atmospheric effect, and it can also help you with strategic planning.

I remember it being said that speech cues such as shouts to "move it" etc were being put in. Presumably the Germans and Allies will speak in their appropriate languages...

I'm not sure about the French or Polish though. It seems to me we could pretend they were all Anglophone Poles and Frenchmen.

I remember it being said that speech cues such as shouts to "move it" etc were being put in. Presumably the Germans and Allies will speak in their appropriate languages...

I'm not sure about the French or Polish though. It seems to me we could pretend they were all Anglophone Poles and Frenchmen.

Guest Big Time Software

There are lots of voice cues in CM to let you know what your units are up to. If a unit panics, for example, you might here "Let's get out of here!!!" yelled as the unit does a 180 and runs away. Or a unit getting up might say "Move out!". There are multiple sayings for each, so the latter might also come up as "Get Moving!".

All voices are done in the native language of the nation they represent. So commands are in US/Cnd English, UK English, German, Polish, and French. We were toying with having a seperate set for the Canadians, but we know we will not be able to help having them say "eh" at the end of every command. As in "Get Moving, eh!" smile.gif Seriously, besides a few pronounciation differences US and Candians sound too similar to take up time and effort making a new set. After all, we aren't having a Southern US, Midwestern US, Eastern US, etc. dialect sets.

Steve

And what about KIA soldiers? Do they simply vanish? I know that there may be technological drawbacks to leaving them on screen, but it would look pretty cool to see a trail of wounded or KIA soldiers over a plain.

P.s the new screenshots are fantastic!

Guest Big Time Software

Someday we will update the FAQ with this one wink.gif Besides technical problems that would halt the fastest computer during decent sized games, there is also serious game play problems associated with this (clutter being one of the worst). So no way are we going to leave casualties on the map smile.gif There is more details elsewhere on the discussion board. Check out the Search feature and MAYBE it will pull something up for you (it is kinda hit or miss...).

Steve

That's too bad about the Canadian thing. Our army doesn't use the same lingo as the American army. We may sound like some Americans but Canadian armyspeak sounds nothing like Americans'. If you get a chance to reconsider, Brit wording with Canadian accent would probably end up pretty close. We don't say "gear" we say "kit". We don't say "move out" we say "move now". We don't say "incoming" we say "take cover". Its these little things that would make Canadian gronards very happy.

Rob Deans

Can't wait till the CM series includes Aussie soldiers:

Seargent: Oi! Howzitgoin'awright?

Private: Not bad, mate, 'owzyaself?

Seargent: Bonza, mate. What about the bloomin' front?

Private: Nah, she'll be right, mate.

Seargent: Just make sure that Dingo doesn't nick ya baby.

Private: Streuth, mate! Almost bloody forgot!

smile.gif

Are you from the wonderful word of oz Marko? I am, but i have to say, i found that pretty funny, and true to some extent!

Also, i'm looking for some advice, I am upgrading my video card, and was wondering if anyone could suggest one? I have a 12mb Voodoo2 and it's ok (had problems with drivers) - also, i was wondering if this card would be suited to CM?

BTS don't waste your time with this post, i'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

[This message has been edited by krm (edited 08-13-99).]

[This message has been edited by krm (edited 08-13-99).]

I well remember reading a biography of a British army officer who fought in North Africa..

He was fresh to the front and went to co-ordinate with the battalion commander to his left, an Australian.

As he approached he asked a sentry at the CP to get the CO for him.

The sentry proceeded to tell his CO to "get his finger out of his ass and get up here bloody quickly."

While the British officer looked on amazed the naked aussie CO popped up asking who the F*** was looking for him ;)..

You just gotta love that Aussie sense of propriety eh? ;)

Your card should be fine. If you're thinking of upgrading, you have to ask yourself a starting question: "Do I want ridiculously high frame rates, OR a ridiculous amount of graphics features?"

If you want frame rates, go for a VooDoo3 based card. Those are optimized for speed (3Dfx is betting that "speed is life" for gamers) There is, however, a lack of the funky additional goodies that other cards have; things like 32-bit color (which, admittedly, not many wargames support now, but will in the future) 32 MB support (again, wargames don't need this much video RAM now...) and high-quality textures on large objects.

If you want the extras, at a cost in sheer speed, go for a TNT2 card (Hercules Dynamite TNT2 is the current front runner). You get things like color in 32 bit land (ooohh...pretty) and the ability to have cards with 32 MB of RAM on them.

The VooDoo3 has 3 flavors, each probably a bit cheaper than "comparable" flavors of other cards.

For a much more indepth wrapup, go here:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/builtforspeed/index.html

They usually give spot-on reviews.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

DjB

Guest KwazyDog

I must admit, being from Oz myself Fionn, Ive heard lots of funny little stories such as that about our military, hehe.

For instance, did you know the idea for those bolted on side guns on the B-25 was something some ozzies actually came up with fighting up north in the islands. Apparently the pilots found the aircraft nice and stable, and thought itd be useful for strafing, if it had the appropiate firepower. So some of the ground crew got together, drilled some holes in the wings, and bolted a grand totaly of 8 .50 cals in there. The pilots found this more than satisfactory. Apparently though, when this filtered back up the line, the aircraft manufactures had a fit because they thought the extra stress would end up basically tearing the wings off, hehe smile.gif Anyways, the idea was developed into the bolt of guns next to the cockpit..

From what Ive read about our troops in WW2 'military code' as such didnt seem our highest priority smile.gif We did get the job done though, wherever possible.

(By the way, I got this story off the wings series, and have read it somewhere, so I 'presume' its correct...)

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 08-13-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Rob,

Didn't think that the sayings would be all that different, so you might have a point there. I know that some stuff would certainly be different (like 'kit' and 'gear'), but am not sure how different commands would be. We'll keep this in mind and think about this when we do the final voices. I'll send the script to a couple of good 'ol neighbors to the north who have been in the army and see if they think things should be different.

Steve

P.S. Marko, that was REALLY funny stuff wink.gif

Yeah, krm, I'm an Aussie (pronounced "ozzy" for you Yanks smile.gif ) Glad y'all liked my post (see I can do Southern US, too). As for video card, a 12MB Voodoo 2 (I have one myself) will be great for CM. I'm holding off on buying a new card till Xmas when the Voodoo 4's should be reaching our shores. They will have 32-bit color, larger texture support, and some interesting new technology which was announced a couple of weeks ago. I'm a bit of a Voodoophile.

Marko

Languages spoken: Sounds like BTS has most of it covered.

Behavior: I'd really hate to be commanding a Brit squad around noon time. Wouldn't the Brit troops stop an attack for tea? smile.gif

Video cards: I have an nVidia Riva TNT. Works great for almost anything. Related to video cards... just make sure it isn't hanging around for the processor to finish it's work...

I used to have a Pentium 200MMX, 96MB RAM, and the TNT card. Bad video performance was absolutely tied to the CPU. With my recent system upgrade (dual Celeron 366's overclocked to 550MHz, 256MB RAM), I can finally see where video is fast or slow. I might just have to check out the latest Voodoo/TNT wars myself...

"Behavior: I'd really hate to be commanding a Brit squad around noon time. Wouldn't the Brit troops stop an attack for tea? "

LOL. Don't joke about it. Remember what happened to Horrock's corps during Operation Market Garden. There they really DID stop for tea.

Guest KwazyDog

On the video front, here is another card apaprently due out in around the 6 month mark.

http://www.bitboys.fi/a_pr_glaze3d.html

Ive been watching its development for a couple of years now, and it sounds very interesting. Its claiming that fill rates are 'apparently' about 20-30 times that of a voodoo 3. Scarey if its true.

Guest KwazyDog

And dont get me wrong here, I am saying 'apparently'. Being in the indusrty, when being quoted figures like these, seeing is believing smile.gif

Guest PatB_TGN

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>And dont get me wrong here, I am saying 'apparently'. Being in the indusrty, when being quoted figures like these, seeing is believing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to see not only the hardware, but a reasonably debugged driver set. 4 Passes per cycle? That's going to take some serious bit-banging code!

-Patrick

Not wishing to get serious about all this aussie humour but whenever the question of aussie troops comes up I always like to trot out the following quote:

"Very much and very stupid comment has been made upon the discipline of the Australian soldier. That was because the very conception and purpose of discipline have been misunderstood. It is, after all, only a means to an end, and that end is the power to secure co-ordinated action among a large number of individuals for the achievement of a definite purpose. It does not mean lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs, nor a suppression of the individuality. The Australian is accustomed to teamwork. He learns it in the sporting field, in the industrial organisation, and in his political activities. The teamwork which he developed in war was of the highest order of efficiency. Each man understood his part and understood also the part which others had to play depended upon the proper performance of his own."

John Monash

LOL Simon. Well said. Although I don't think anyone here was making a link between discipline and Australian effectivenes..

In Vietnam and other wars where discipline was reputed to be poor it did damage effectiveness but given the Aussie mentality 9as I understand it... and I'm sure I understand it imperfectly) it seems that effectiveness isn't sacrificed by informality.

Kinda the same as the Germans. German officers were rarely the martinets they are made out to be... Pictures have given us very incorrect views about that army unfortunately.